Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone scrape when banking hard in a turn?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fairly regularly but can avoid it if I choose to. As stated above, scraping is riding. You'll get used to it & if your bike is lowered at all it will happen more frequently than not....

Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

For those with '08 and older bikes you can raise the floorboards to allow harder cornering. Even with 3/4" floorboard extentions I almost never scrape now except in slow-speed turns. My 13¼" Ohlins shocks helped with any clearance issues, too, putting the rear up 1¼" higher than stock SG and ¼" higher than standard air shocks. I noticed the change in floorboard position for about 10 min. and after that it has felt normal and I have no inclination to put it back to the stock position. AFAIK there's not much you can do with newer bikes in this regard, however, short of mounting taller shocks, but I wouldn't go too much higher than what's already on a stock Ultra.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I scrape on hard left turns, no so much with the right turns. Just part of riding and very common.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Got mine lowered a full inch in the rear with floorboard extenders and I never scrape, what are you guys knee dragging out there

If I had extenders on my SG (OR EG) I'd scrape just getting the bikes out of the shop.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Lucky1958
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all in how you set up the bike for a corner. I used to ride sport bikes and love going deep in a corner then throwing the bike over.
If done properly you can shift your weight out and forward and keep the bike upright and never drag anything. See my avitar! If i just sit upright with no weight shift I can drag both sides all the time.
I have done ride like a pro and all there drills can be done without dragging. If you want to drag your board supports its not hard at all.
My wife does not enjoy it much.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Yep, I occasionally scrape with stock height Ultra. I try not to with the "War Dept" on the back as previously mentioned, but it still happens when enjoying some spirited riding

Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I scrape my mounts on the Ultra all the time but not the floor boards... I don't really get why that is. Maybe is the bank of the turns?? Both mounts are scraped.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM
buttmonkey
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Riding with the wife on board, we put well over 400 lbs. on the heritage. Here in the mts of GA. and NC. we are sanding the high spots off the corners all the time. The shocks are set hard as possible. Have Samson Longhorns for exhaust. The bottom of the lower fishtail is also ground off. The softails with floorboards will be scrubbing the ground long before the touring bikes.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jay-s
Is this normal?
Yepper......

Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I scrape my mounts on the Ultra all the time but not the floor boards... I don't really get why that is. Maybe is the bank of the turns?? Both mounts are scraped.
Scrape my 08 RG mounts all the time too, haven't touched a footboard.

Quick Reply: Does anyone scrape when banking hard in a turn?