Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Mod. Done - with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:20 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap and Lazy

Being cheap and lazy, I got some velcro and velcro'd my remote under the auxiliary switch housing on the inside of the left side looking forward, kinda tight but fit. It's out of sight, easy to activate, out of weather, and when the battery goes, easy to remove. Just a thought.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Being cheap and lazy, I got some velcro and velcro'd my remote under the auxiliary switch housing on the inside of the left side looking forward, kinda tight but fit. It's out of sight, easy to activate, out of weather, and when the battery goes, easy to remove. Just a thought.
I'm with you man. I got one of those small (micro) remotes. Used some double side tape to mount it on the inside of my inner fairing - just under the right side. It's easy to access but nobody but me would even know it's there. Works great!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

As Robert De Niro said while holding a cigerette shaking his finger...."you guys......."

Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RistoRap
Do you have the push button odometer reset type switch? if so, the only thing you could do is add a second set of wires (splice them in) to the second remote - but you will be opening both doors every time you pushed the switch.

Or you could find 3 position momentary toggle or rocker switch. Run one set of wires from the top of the switch to the first opener, and another set of wires from the bottom of the switch to the second opener. Middle position is off, push up for door #1, push down for door #2. The switch should be one that automatically returns to center so it opens the circuit (stops sending signal) when you let go.

Here's an example: Amazon.com: Amico AC 250V 3A on/off/on Momentary DPDT Toggle Switch with Waterproof Boot: Home Improvement
It is the odometer reset switch but I like the idea of the 3 position toggle switch. Thanks for the information!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

NAPA sells a couple of versions of the reflector style and are quite competitively priced. napaonline.com

Old 10-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fishn4life
Just did this mod, for anyone interested you can purchase an on/off (not momentary) switch w/ rubber boot here
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...USH-OFF/1.html
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...R-PB-21/1.html
About $2 plus shipping
HA! I was there earlier this week. I love going down there. They've always got cool gadgets.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 PM
VBFLHX12
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden garage button

I did the OP's mod a couple years ago and within a year the threads on the back of the rubber button stripped out and the button itself fell into the fairing.

Has anyone else ran into this issue and what are you doing to fix/prevent it?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Must58GT
Novice
Default Garage Door Opener Mod (Liftmaster, working intermittent?)

Last weekend, I added a garage door opener switch to my '09 Street Glide. I used a Liftmaster opener (Amazon, $25) and the Harley momentary switch (PN 71764-07, $35) originally designed for the CVO Electric Saddlebag lock.

For starters, the Liftmaster opener works great, in fact I have two of them and they both work great. When I soldered the switch wires to the opener circuit board, the opener now works intermittently even before I installed the switch on my Street Glide.

So, I unsoldered the wires, and the opener works fine again. Tried this also on the second Liftmaster opener and same thing. I checked the connections, replaced the battery, (and drank a beer or two while I was wondering what the heck was going on) but it didn't make any difference.

I tested the opener switch with a voltmeter before I soldered the switch wires to the circuit board so I'm relatively certain I made the right connection. I am also looking at the pictures in this post, and it looks the same too. But, either I didn't solder the wires to the right circuit on the opener, or something else is wrong.

Any ideas?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

Installed a "good to Go" opener. got it real cheap. Powered by hi beam. Hit headlight switch from lo -hi-lo-hi and garage door opens, only had to remove headlight for access. total job time, about 15 minutes. No extra holes. Absolutely invisible.Worked flawlessly for around 5 years now, so maybe it'll be OK.Trickiest part was mounting the receiver to the wall, replacing the stock unit, but even that was pretty easy.Oh, yeah-2008 FLHT.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 AM
redturbo911
Cruiser

Bringing back an old thread to see if any new ideas. Thinking of just another door opener and Velcro in a spot that's easy to reach. How do you guys hook up to the bike for power to avoid changing batteries? Pictures always help. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Mod. Done - with pics.