Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros an cons

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy I agree with Lion but do it in reverse order. Sit down and make a list of what you plan do do with the bike. Then go out a rent each one for a weekend, with your list in mind. Afterwards decide which one best meets your list. Sure renting a bike for the weekend costs money, but $300 now could save you thousands if it helps you get the right bike the first time.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My daughter's boyfriend has a Street Glide. I have the below Road King. His bike is great for cruising around locally. My bike is great for cruising around locally. My bike is great for 500 miles a day touring. Did I mention that his bike is great for cruising around locally.

He has ridden mine a few times and always comments on how nice it rides and how comfortable it is.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I really like the look of the SG but I do not like a fairing (I previously owned an Ultra). Either one will take you anywhere you have the ballz to ride. Do as posted and rent each. Your money, your choice. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated numerous times, really it is only you who can choose.

My only advice when taking the plunge is to buy the bike you genuinely love. Stats and lists can lead you to a "sensible" decision, but we are buying these bikes to put a smile on our faces when we ride. The worst possible thing is to buy something that comes with a small nagging doubt. If in genuine doubt, be patient and rent.

Otherwise you are going to spend a whole lot more (well, you are probably going to spend loads, but I mean even more) converting this in to the bike you do love

Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
harlanrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was torn between the Street Glide and Road King also. I did rent them both. Love to looks of the Road King but just felt more comfortable on the Street Glide. Went with it and couldn't be happier. Did not really want a radio but I now love having one. You will know when you ride them which one is for you.

Attached Thumbnails pros an cons-img-20111009-00014.jpg   pros an cons-img-20111009-00016.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 06:15 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

No truer words have been spoken. Only you know which bike is for you. Rent them both, or at the very least, test ride them both. The answer will come to you.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sit on both. I believe the SG sits a little lower.

My friend bought the RK. I loved the way it looked. I went to pick one up and fell in love with the SG. I like the fairing and radio, so that is how I went.

Same friend would make fun of me and my radio. He just came back from Daytona with a detachable bat wing with a radio.

He likes the fact of wind and rain potation on his hands with the batwing.
He can also remove the fairing and windshield whenever he wants.

We both swear we would never have done it differently.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The SG is lowered. If you aren't very tall you may aspire to this. Otherwise lowered may look better but it doesn't ride as well.

If you are OK heightwise, want max comfort for longer trips, and have the money, then go with door number three...an Ultra

RK is the most versatile bike Harley makes since a detachable batwing with radio can be added.

One last comment. If you choose to rent them both a big difference besides suspension is handlebars. Don't let the handle bars affect your decision as they can be replaced.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Rent em' and ride em'. That's the only way you will ever know...and if you don't...you'll always wonder.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rent event

Or you could wait for a "Test Our Metal Event" and take both out on the same day - compare them up close for free.

Quick Reply: pros an cons