Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Hang Around
Default pros an cons

Looking to buy a new bike road king / street glide. Really like the looks of a street glide. But everyone says the king is the ****. So before I drop the change thought I would a line out here an so what you all think
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Club Member

Rent and ride one of each and record your thoughts on each one and then look for your best deal based on your criteria.

Feuling Reaper 525 Cams PC-V- Rinehart Slim-line Duals and 4 inch Rinehart Slip-Ons.
88 HP-98 TQ
Stage 2.
Lots of other custom stuff
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsm13 View Post
Rent and ride one of each and record your thoughts on each one and then look for your best deal based on your criteria.
I agree. It all depends what you want the bike to do, how you ride, what you like, what you have the funds for, etc. Sit on them, ride them, stare at pictures on the internet, read about them here on the forums, and you'll know which to get. Both a great bikes and but each have some advantages and disadvantages.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Road Master

I went out to buy a SG. Started looking around and decided to go with the Ultra and put on a detachable tour pak.
Couldn't be happier, best of both worlds.
Oh yeah, I went from a RKC to the Ultra.

'02 Lowrider
'07 Road King Classic
'11 Ultra Limited

" Im no schoolboy but I know what I like,
You should have heard me just around midnight
"
Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

this is america....we are the richest people in the world ....we don't have to choose....buy them both.....
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

When I sold my Fatboy, I swore my next bike was going to be the road king. That was until they came out with the Street Glide. Bottom line both bike are great, but for me Street Glide all the way

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"" ---- Mavis Leyrer
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I love my SG, but that doesn't mean it's for you. As the first person after you stated, go rent both. That's the ONLY way you'll be able to make an informed decision. For around 100-125 a day for each bike, you'll spend 200-250 for a day of each, but that will answer your question definitively.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Road Warrior

I've had 2 Road Kings (FLHR's) and really liked them both. After I bought my 2010 FLHR, the Street Glides kept lookin' at me everytime I passed one. So one day I rode the King into the dealer for the 5,000 mile service and rode out with a black Street Glide. Anyway, I liked the Street Glide, but I always missed my King. Then when it came time to put money into the SG, I thought I'd buy another RK instead. Dealer didn't have any Road Kings, but had a leftover 2011 EG Classic for a really good deal, so I bought it. Anyway, the EGC is a great 2-up motorcycle, but I still like the Road King best.
Attached Thumbnails
pros an cons-sam_0110.jpg   pros an cons-100_0571.jpg  
- Patriot Guard Rider
- WE WILL NEVER FORGET 9-11-2001
Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
tviscomi

If you can swing the extra $, then the Streetglide is the way to go. I've been down the same road your traveling, I bought a Softail a few years back and "kicked myself in the ***" every time I passed a SG on the road. Now I own 2 of them...lol.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Sponsor
https://www.facebook.com/fast.windshields

The SG & RK share with minor differences, all the major components...frame, engine, trans, brakes, suspension... So it basically comes down to the looks of a Fairing or no Fairing. You can always do what so many have done, get a RK with a detatchable Fairing. Basically the best of both worlds.

My Ride: 2014 SGS, Charcoal Pearl, FP3, Monster Rounds, Ness BS & Fast Aire Aero Windshield

http://www.fastaire.com/Aero.html
Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM

P