Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the deal with larger front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,579 Likes on 21,430 Posts

It's a fad that's been goin' on since about 08 that I can remember.
Personally I think that a bagger w/a skinny tire on it looks like a fat chick with no rack and a big *** if you can imagine that?
It does not flow...

Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
Donk?

donk

Any POS late 80's or early 90's American heap (preferably an Impala) that has large enough wheels installed until it resembles (and rides and handles like) a Conestoga wagon. This is done so it sits up high enough so as to be at the same eye level as the Playas with real juice ridin in their Escalades. Adding in a bad candy paint job and Wal-Mart sub box completes the transformation.
With no money left over for necessary suspension and brake upgrades, the lifespan is limited to a few drug runs or the first Police chase, whichever occurs first.
That donk is fly and ridin high

Basically what this "Harley" is.

Attached Thumbnails what's the deal with larger front wheels?-donk-pos.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (01-25-2020)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I don't like 'em. WAY too "trendy" IMHO the ONLY wheel that looks good with an FL style front end is a 16". Don't even like a 17", which is why I eschew the RK Standard & SG. With the FL style fender engulfing the 21", it looks like a tiny ***** with a great big condom on it. Sill, IMHO. What're all these people gonna do when it ain't trendy anymore?

Last edited by dickey; 03-31-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

With no money left over for necessary suspension and brake upgrades, the lifespan is limited to a few drug runs or the first Police chase, whichever occurs first.

LMFAO!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only downside I feel is the very slow speed manuvering is slightly changed. Riding at speed is no different, its a little more "squirmy" on bridge grading. But mines still a 120 tire, compared to the 140 stock, cmon your talking about 2 effin centimeters. Not a big change, I think it looks dynamite, especially in the stock FL fender, sorry dickey, everyone has there own preferences thats the whole point right? Im quite happy with my 21, and that is all that matters. And it isnt the trend up here yet, theres very few.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And to mention, my front suspension is still stock, and im running 1" drop blocks in the rear, bike aint outta wack as some would suggest. Actually sits quite level dont ya think?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I don't like 'em. WAY too "trendy" IMHO the ONLY wheel that looks good with an FL style front end is a 16". Don't even like a 17", which is why I eschew the RK Standard & SG. With the FL style fender engulfing the 21", it looks like a tiny ***** with a great big condom on it. Sill, IMHO. What're all these people gonna do when it ain't trendy anymore?
You have personal experience with that Dickey?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UPSGUY
I got a 21 for the front of my RK and I like the look and it rides good to me but I also have the stock wheel ready to go on for long trips. To each his own!
That looks great IMO, nicely done. I've been running 21's on my choppers for over 20 years, they look pretty natural to me, but the 21+ wheels look a little goofy to me. Just a personal taste thing I guess

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by right hook
It was Dicky's idea! :-)

You better stay in shape if your going to lift a heavy bike off a stock kickstand all day with a 21 unless you lower the front. I've left mine up and now I don't scrape the boards all the time anymore thanks to the clearance, so I might just keep it high.
Might want to check this out. Made mine a lot easier to get off the stand.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...kickstand.html
As far as the 21 front, I'll run mine till they quit making tires for it.

Quick Reply: what's the deal with larger front wheels?