Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opener - good location for a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Default Garage door opener - good location for a Road King

Well, yet another garage door opener thread.

I tried to put my opener inside the console, but for whatever reason (chrome interferes with the signal?), it wouldn't work.

New location: Behind the right side plastic cover next to the ABS module.

Prior to this attempt, I drilled a hole in the console and put a HD momentary switch on the opposite side of the odometer switch. (similar to what I did on my Heritage)

Then I soldered, shrink tubed and zip tied some extra wire to the switch and ran it down the console.

Then I ran the wire under the seat and zip tied to the brake line. You can see the door opener in the 2nd pic.

I was concerned about water getting in, so I put it in a sandwich bag and zip tied it. (Kinda hokey, but I'm pretty sure it will keep moisture out)

Last pic all buttoned up. Works great!

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-31-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:02 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

If it were me:

wire a relay into the high beam that'll trigger the GDO.

that way you flip the high beam- the GDO sends RF to the door.

you can usually fit it inside the headlight bucket, even on an FXR.

waterproofing:
one method we use at work to waterproof electronics, is to seal inside a condom ( no lube/no spermicide), then dip the whole thing in "plasti-dip".

however sealing moisture out, can also seal moisture in.

If the circuit board is sealed, but vented in a warm area ( such as headlight bucket) moisture will be warmed out of it.

soldered wires do not do well on bikes, over time the wire strands will break right where the tinning ends. ( i know others have good experience, I solder electronics for a living- my FXRP went about 2 years before i started having failures after I made my own wiring harness with gorgeous solder joints)

mike

Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
If it were me:

wire a relay into the high beam that'll trigger the GDO.

that way you flip the high beam- the GDO sends RF to the door.

you can usually fit it inside the headlight bucket, even on an FXR.

waterproofing:
one method we use at work to waterproof electronics, is to seal inside a condom ( no lube/no spermicide), then dip the whole thing in "plasti-dip".

however sealing moisture out, can also seal moisture in.

If the circuit board is sealed, but vented in a warm area ( such as headlight bucket) moisture will be warmed out of it.

soldered wires do not do well on bikes, over time the wire strands will break right where the tinning ends. ( i know others have good experience, I solder electronics for a living- my FXRP went about 2 years before i started having failures after I made my own wiring harness with gorgeous solder joints)

mike
Agree, but that's a bit more involved than I care to get. This works great and if I have to fix it up again next year, its easy.