Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best satellite radio for your bike...

Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best satellite radio for your bike...

What satellite radio do you use while riding, where do you attach it and how? I know there are other options, I'm interested in satellite radio owner and operators only.

Thanks,

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have XM. It is part of the Zumo 665 that I bought. The antenna is under the fairing. The interface on the Zumo is actualy pretty nice. I wish the one in my Ford was as nice.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 AM
bunangst
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Delphi Roady 2 on the handlebar of my 01 Ultra. It is a long discontinued receiver but you can find them cheap on eBay. Worked great although it is not waterproof. Just bought a 10 Ultra with a Zumo that has XM. Can't wait to try it out.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I have XM mounted inside my faring that HD sells to work with the HD radio. The antenna is mounted inside the faring and works great. Its expensive but I didn't want to have an external unit mounted on my bike

Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Blackbird3
Intermediate

I elected to go with a Sportster 5 setup with multiple mounts since I am to cheap to pay for multiple subscriptions. I have a mount in both my cars, both bikes, and in the house. One subscription and only takes a minute to plug in. For the Ultra, I installed the mount in the rear Tour pak in the front left indent (corner). The antenna is also in the tourpak with no issues so far. To play nice with the HK radio I used the FM Direct adaptor (single wire) to the front that goes inline with the antenna. To use Sirius, simply use one of the preset channels on the radio (mine is #3 set to 89.9 FM). Volume works with hand controls. The unit has 20 preset stations (which is more than I will Ever use) and a small 2" remote that I velcroed near my controls should I need to channel surf. Rarely. Also, the power for the unit was already the the trunk via the standard power adapter (FLHTK). Simple, no weather issues, easy to move to other vehicles ($cheap$), no worries about theft since nothing is visible, and does not take much space. (approx 1"x4") Works for my cheap ***. Great for long range trips, and affordable. FYI, back when I ordered the radio they offered a Lifetime subscription for only 299 which has Long paid for itself since all of my vehicles use it. Good luck with your project.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird3
I elected to go with a Sportster 5 setup with multiple mounts since I am to cheap to pay for multiple subscriptions. I have a mount in both my cars, both bikes, and in the house. One subscription and only takes a minute to plug in. For the Ultra, I installed the mount in the rear Tour pak in the front left indent (corner). The antenna is also in the tourpak with no issues so far. To play nice with the HK radio I used the FM Direct adaptor (single wire) to the front that goes inline with the antenna. To use Sirius, simply use one of the preset channels on the radio (mine is #3 set to 89.9 FM). Volume works with hand controls. The unit has 20 preset stations (which is more than I will Ever use) and a small 2" remote that I velcroed near my controls should I need to channel surf. Rarely. Also, the power for the unit was already the the trunk via the standard power adapter (FLHTK). Simple, no weather issues, easy to move to other vehicles ($cheap$), no worries about theft since nothing is visible, and does not take much space. (approx 1"x4") Works for my cheap ***. Great for long range trips, and affordable. FYI, back when I ordered the radio they offered a Lifetime subscription for only 299 which has Long paid for itself since all of my vehicles use it. Good luck with your project.
Is the remote wired or wireless on the Sportster? I have the Starmate with a wireless remote. Don't think it will penetrate the tour pak.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:58 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I now use the one in my Zumo 665 - by far the cleanest install. However I did have a Sirius Starmate and used the following items:

On my EGC (I have fairing mounted mirrors like the SG), I used the
TechMount Harley Mirror Mount Part number 44020126
http://psndealer.com/dealersite/imag.../4402-0126.jpg

and for the antenna I used:
TechMount XM-AB Bracket Part Number 44020162

I just mounted the antenna bracket to the back of the mirror mount.

I also used the short antenna from tss

Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Blackbird3
Intermediate

Yes the remote is wireless. Haven't had an issue but then again I don't change channels often. Just need my Howard Stern fix every once in a while traveling long range.

I also have the Zumo GPS but could not justify paying for another subscription. Works good for me.

Dave

Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird3
Yes the remote is wireless. Haven't had an issue but then again I don't change channels often. Just need my Howard Stern fix every once in a while traveling long range.

I also have the Zumo GPS but could not justify paying for another subscription. Works good for me.

Dave
Howard is my favorite too, but Hair Nation and Octane are good for long drives.

I'll have to check out if the remote works through the tour pak when I get my Ultra Limited next week.

Thanks for your response.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a single subscription for the SIRIUS satellite radio. I use the Docking Stations and move it around.
I have one on my bike, in the car, garage, house and a home station with computer speakers so I can just plug
it in and have SIRIUS anywhere. I have the SIRIUS Docking Port installed on my right handlebar. This makes
it easy to change channels without taking my hands away from the handlebars, even with gloves.

Name:  FLTRRadio2.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  15.0 KBName:  RGORG31911006.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  18.2 KB
I used the plate (76313-98) from Harley Hand Held CB Microphone kit (76312-98) to mount the
docking station on the handlebars. I then just taped the cigarette lighter inside the fairing for power.
I used the FM Direct adapter to get the sound in the radio. It plugs in the antenna input. This keeps
any local stations on the same frequency from interfering with the signal, but still listen to them.
The SIRIUS antenna is just magnetically mounted on top of the radio inside the fairing.
I have not had any problems with the signal. I made a nylon cover for anytime it rains.
If it starts and I am riding, I can stop and put it over the radio, or just reach up and take it off.
I have been caught in heavy rain before and have not had the SIRIUS damaged from rain.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 04-01-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best satellite radio for your bike...