Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change how to

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rhaneski
The OP does have the owners manual, Two in fact. but prefers to actually hear what others have experienced and actually learned more than is available in the manual from what has been posted.
GFY is uncalled for
GFY....is the exact response I expected to get from this guy.........the forum was not intended to be a place for nice guys to come to ask questions and get flamed by morons with nothing to offer. He knew his bullshit response was just that, and just to help prove my pont, after he posted nothing at all to help you but his sarcastic idiotic worthless post, he shows us all that he wanted to generate some kind of negative reply by comming back to the scene of his crime much like a worlds dumbest criminal would if for no other reason but to see who he could take a free jab at or rile up. This guy makes weaker members wanna trade the Harley life and bike for a gold wing. Thank God I'm not weak.

I did nothing wrong , I simply pointed out facts, that he had nothing to offer, that he wanted to say something but had nothing to say , be it for lack of anything intelligent or substance as it pertained to the thread posters question. And make no mistakes , he clearly came back to do just that. Anyone who offers a " check you manual or take it to a dealer" as the response is both ignorant and rude. There would have been no need to check back in on the threadif he cared about you or your question as little as both his first and second post exclaimed. The GFY further illustrates my point.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 04-04-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhis
I usually say that help yourself first, then ask for help, if you couldn't do it. If you are smart enough, you will see that HD gives enough information of how to change oil in the "owner manual", which they assume with this simplest task, everyone should be able to do it.
If the OP doesn't have an owner manual with an 2008 bike, then it is his problem. If he does have one, but doesn't bother to read it, then go figure.
You love to bash people, so GFY!
I didn't bash you....I pointed out who and what you are, as was made further evident by your second effort at demonstrating just what a friggin moron you are.....I'll let you own words do the bashing.....self mutilation if you will.

]I usually say that help yourself first, then ask for help, if you couldn't do it.

The OP asked to hear how other people's experiences related to the task might help him. Why do you get to decide the criteria for when and what gets asked......? You do not get to decide this.....moron.

If you are smart enough, you will see that HD gives enough information of how to change oil in the "owner manual", which they assume with this simplest task, everyone should be able to do it.

Really? Have you never asked someone else their experiences in performing some kind of maintience task? First of all the manual never said anywhere in it that any idiot can do it if they read it. Harley Davidson does not assume that all people read or comprehend at the same level. I'm sure your arrogance stems from your superior intellect. Facts are I and many others here ask questions to gather tips n tricks that the book is certain to omit or exclude, necessity is the mother of invention, many gret tips and shortcuts, along with real life expiernces can make even a simple oil change easier fr others. The op has the book, he was looking for expiernces .........does the book cover all of the great tips others posted on this thread.....yea that's what I thought.

If the OP doesn't have an owner manual with an 2008 bike, then it is his problem.

Many things can happen that would account for the lack of an owners manual....maybe he got the bike used and the previous owner kept it....whatever the reason, to jump to the conclusion that if the book is missing, which it was not, somehow makes it the op's "problem" further validates your stupidity and ignorance. And had that been the case and had the op been missing the book, well yes it s his problem, and the last time I checked that's exactly why this forum exists, so others can ask for help from their Harley minded peers. This statement on your part again proves what type of person you are.

If he does have one, but doesn't bother to read it, then go figure.
You love to bash people, so GFY

I never bashed you. I pointed out what you have made very obvious is your take on things, and that is You aren't here to help, everyone asking for help is stupid, and It's not your problem it's there's. I could go on and on but using your own words I have established that you bashed yourself, your post above is a self inflicted gunshot wound of stupidity and ignorance. You didn't need me or anyone else to clarify that you are an ******* .

700+ posts under your belt, and the only thing we learned from your most recent bulshit post sir is that the forum needs to establish a better screening process to weed out guys like you who make all the other wonderful people here look like **** by association. You have offered good advice in the past to people asking far less substamtitive questions, not sure why the op got the short, non answer from you today..........I guess the whole God complex is worse than it appears, because you obviously singled out the oil change question as one not "worthy" of your expert opinion, but your opinion on radar detectors being junk , well that provided a wealth of information.......seriously forget about me, do the right thing and apologize to the op.......he clearly deserved more from you, being you know so very much.

That's not bashing by the way it's reality. How bout you print this, roll it up nice and tight and G F Y?

Last edited by Joboo1966; 04-04-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM
vangasman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Joboo1966 Your the man!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great points above. As a new member I've been the target of these wonderful and open minded Half-witts!

Now for my additions to the thread:

The plastic bottle sounds like an awesome idea. But, you see, I'm that guy that likes to have the right tool for the right job...to that end, the stealership got me for a point of sale purchase the other day and I actually bought an oil filter funnel that is designed to fit perfectly under the oil filter. I considered returning prior to using it but then thought that this may be a good experiment. Holy crap...it worked like a champ! Not one single drop of oil was missed!!! Now $20 IS way too much for a stupid plastic funnel that is small enough to fit in my hand and a 10" plastic hose to attach to it.

I almost feel ashamed to say that this may be the best $20 I've ever spent...that is until I read the plastic bottle trick!!!!! Damn it, I wish I saw that post prior to buying...nonetheless less...I WOULD recommend getting this oil filter funnel...only if you don't have a large plastic bottle laying around.

Happy maintance!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

Now this whole thing ended up making me laugh. Not so much about the bashing part, as I wholeheartedly agree it has no place in the forum, and thanks to Joboo for his insightful response to expose it, cap it, and kick it out. BUT...the plastic bottle idea from Cro is an outstanding one! I swear I'm gonna try it. Then I read of poor old Cheesehead from the Goodland ranting about that HD funnel he bought for 20 bucks! Thanks for the laff!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
madcardisease
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that that is all out of the way......I too am getting ready to change the fluids in all 3 holes. I have never done it before, and was also looking for some insight. There's a first time for everything.

Also, I ordered the redline syn oil kit from amazon.com, and it came with a nice funnel. Can't wait to get it done tomorrow!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh sure take all the fun out of it... LOL I did just that on my Dyna. Major problem was that my wife's car was next to the bike with the windows down!!!!

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Two other things .... Never start the engine without the dipstick in. Oil will shoot out all over everything.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Redline Shockproof in the tranny is the best ... try it you will notice the difference. Stops the clunk. Stuff is like pepto bismal when you drain it though.
Redline Primary fluid is really good too ... seems really funky brown color when drained but that stuff makes your clutch grab really sweet.
Mobile 1 15W50 synthetic in the engine ... don't use it anywhere else though, it's got really slippery moly in it which will cause clutch slippage. It's better in the engine than the Mobile 1 20W50 V-Twin oil which is supposedly OK for all holes. but the V-Twin is like 3 bucks more a quart. And why would anyone use motor oil in a transmission anyway.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,518 Likes on 10,075 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
And why would anyone use motor oil in a transmission anyway.
I dunno, same reason they put a car tire on a motorcycle

Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy a shop manual

Quick Reply: oil change how to