Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change how to

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
rhaneski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change how to

Im sure its been posted, but I didnt see it in a search.

Amy how to's for an oil change on an 08 Ultra classic with oil cooler.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open your owner manual, or bring the bike to the dealer.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The oil cooler is a non-factor. Get a service manual and you will be fine. Just remember to short fill when you replenish the oil and add to the stick, Never just dump in what any manual tells you is the capacity of the oil.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the link it's for the 2007 but it's the same method.....the oil cooler is a non factor you need not touch it to do a basic oil change. There are purge kits that allow you to purge the old oil from the lines through the cooler and the engine but even Harley Davidson does not do this when they change your oil as the small amount of oil left in the system ( less than an eighth of a quart) will make little difference in the grand scheme of things, although it is touted as more signifiicantly usefull in bikes older than eight years old. Since yours is an 08 follow these instructions and you'll be fine. I love it when people ask for help and smart asses take the Time to be ignorant , and go so far as to post nothing but sarcastic " open your manual" or take it to your dealer"........maybe he does not have the book, or maybe he doesn't wanna pay Harley 100 bucks or more to perform a 35.00 job, in any case offering answers of significance and substance will go much further in not only helping the brother out, but in keeping people comming back to and using this forum. And people wonder why new folks come here for help then never come back. Im not refering so much to qtracer as he had at least some advice of substance, but the other poster, would have better served you by not posing at all. Jeesh!

Rhaneski , I'm sorry , you can count-on getting at least three out of five ignorant responses to every post This usualy means they probably don't know the answers or are unwilling to go the extra mile to help out a Harley brother in need. I'm ashamed on their behalf. I'm sure they're not.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7708367_chan...ic-harley.html

Last edited by Joboo1966; 04-03-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you decide to change the tranny oil I suggest Spectro Platinum 6 spd...its expensive but the difference in shifting smoothness and lack of clunking makes it well worth it in my opinion

Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I usually just grab a wrench, loosen the drain plug and let the oil drain into a pan. If you remove your dipstick, the oil will drain faster. Remove oil filter and spill oil all over the floor. Put drain plug and new filter back in. Pour in 3 quarts, put dipstick back in, start it up, run it for a minute, turn it off and put 3/4 quart in.
Dump a bunch of speedy dry under bike to clean up all the dirty oil you spilled. Bring bike outside, spray some de-greaser like bike bright down around the filter and front motor mount and spray that **** off. All done.
Now next time you can try and figure out some way of not spilling that shitty old oil all over your garage floor.
See, no video or manual needed.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I usually just grab a wrench, loosen the drain plug and let the oil drain into a pan. If you remove your dipstick, the oil will drain faster. Remove oil filter and spill oil all over the floor. Put drain plug and new filter back in. Pour in 3 quarts, put dipstick back in, start it up, run it for a minute, turn it off and put 3/4 quart in.
Dump a bunch of speedy dry under bike to clean up all the dirty oil you spilled. Bring bike outside, spray some de-greaser like bike bright down around the filter and front motor mount and spray that **** off. All done.
Now next time you can try and figure out some way of not spilling that shitty old oil all over your garage floor.
This was basically the short version of the link I posted minus the colorful metafors, but he posted the answer....my faith slowly returns.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
If you decide to change the tranny oil I suggest Spectro Platinum 6 spd...its expensive but the difference in shifting smoothness and lack of clunking makes it well worth it in my opinion
Good post! The stuff works great haven't heard the "clunk" once since I used it! I agree completely !

Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
cdroundy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...This is a great write up. Thank you for putting a comedic spin on a very mundane task.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by cdroundy
LOL...This is a great write up. Thank you for putting a comedic spin on a very mundane task.
Amen!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change how to