Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ohlins vs progressive

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had Progressives got 200 miles on My Ohlins 3-3's and alot better than stock.First thing the wife made a comment on was the new shocks and I havent even done any adjusting on them to dial em in yet.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,426 Likes on 21,386 Posts

I would have liked to have went w/the Ohlins, but bought the Progressive 940's for the rear and the Progressive Monotubes for the front which were also needed.
No more divin' when stopping quick which the stock front end springs, yes you heard right,springs.
The two changes(front and rear) were significant, and both sets were cheaper than the rear only Ohlins.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I had 12˝" Progressive 440's with standard springs for two years and now have 13Ľ" Ohlins #2-3 that were installed in Sept. '09. There is no comparison between the two, the Ohlins being far superior in every way. They ride better, handle better, and have rebound control that was missing altogether with the Progressives.

In all fairness, these Ohlins are 3/4" taller than the Progressives and that alone makes a big difference, but not enough to make these shocks anywhere close to being equal. Think of it this way: You can transfer the shocks from bike to bike, so it's not like they are a temporary purchase.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McCumber, I'm in a similar boat. I know Ohlins are better shocks, but I don't want to have to change the settings every time the OL rides on the back. Looking at 940/944s when we get back. But I still may go Ohlins, but part of me just doesn't want to have to "fiddle" with the settings very often. I know it sounds lazy, but after having the bike in storage for a year, I just want to ride.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by hougz79
McCumber, I'm in a similar boat. I know Ohlins are better shocks, but I don't want to have to change the settings every time the OL rides on the back. Looking at 940/944s when we get back. But I still may go Ohlins, but part of me just doesn't want to have to "fiddle" with the settings very often. I know it sounds lazy, but after having the bike in storage for a year, I just want to ride.
I ran 940's on my last bike and when I rode solo , 2up & 2up loaded I had to adjust the sag for the different weights , thats all you have to do to the Ohlins so there is no difference

Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I have an 09 Electra glide classic and ride mostly two up. We can all agree the stock shocks stink. How much are we looking at for the Ohlins 3-3?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by hougz79
Most shocks have adjustable preload, not just Ohlins, so that you can adjust them when solo or duo. Or leave them at any setting you are happy with. You don't have to adjust or fiddle with Ohlins every time 'the OL' rides, you will simply get a better ride if you adjust them for solo then again for duo. That is something that will soon become second nature, as will the superior quality of ride.

Originally Posted by flhrbill
I'm in the same boat. I have an 09 Electra glide classic and ride mostly two up. We can all agree the stock shocks stink. How much are we looking at for the Ohlins 3-3?
You can see list prices at Motorcycle Metal's website, but Howard offers members a discount, so give him a call and talk things through. They are worth every penny and a lot more!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had either but just purchased a used set of 440 progressives which are on the way. Considering how quick these sell used they can't be too bad but then again if they are not better than the stock ones I'll be calling Howard. I have a SG and found these the same length as the stock shocks - I almost wish I could've found a 13" set, oh well hopefully they'll work out!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,868 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by richrail12
so i am torn between 2 rear shocks right now and cost is a factor for me since i have numerous other things i wish to buy for my bike. i am 6'5" 300# ride solo most of the time but sometimes have the OL on the back and shes about 120#, so the two shock setups i have narrowed it down to are ohlins 2-2 or progressive 440HD, there is a sizable price difference between the two, around $150 (that could be my plasma rods for the back end) is it worth sticking the extra money into it for ENTRY level ohlins, honestly, i can see how the high end remote reservoir model could be a huge difference. and i hate to end up buying both at one point or another, i know that either one is a big jump from stock air, which i think is seriously lacking in performance. has anybody had both? in a similar ride circumstance as mine? am i comparing apples to oranges?
Rich,

Let me run it down for you since I've owned the stock Harley air shocks, Progressive 440, and Ohlins 3-3:

Stock Harley air shocks = Dogshit…an embarrassment for Harley to even have this crap on a $20K+ touring bike.

Progressive 440 = Better than stock Harley air shocks, mediocre compression and rebound damping. Pretty expensive for so-so performance.

Ohlins 3-3 = Superior shocks, with adjustable length, pre-load, and compression/rebound.

Bottom line: You get what you pay for…be smart and spend the extra cash on quality.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

harley offers a premium shock for the front and rear on the touring bikes...have heard a lot of good things about them. less money also.

Quick Reply: ohlins vs progressive