Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long were you off with shoulder surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How long were you off with shoulder surgery?

I am just sitting here climbing the walls since some 21 year old texter rear ended me and totaled my Silverado back in December. I had shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago and I have not yet started P/T. I have no idea how long it will be before I can ride again but am hearing some horror stories about the time frame. Anyone have any stories of how long you were off after surgery? I know there are many issues which come into play here but overall mobility may be close. My issue was not rotator cuff but more cartilidge and tissue issues. There was some bone on bone area which they drilled small holes in the bone to create scar tissue to give a little bufferthus no P/T until next week. With all this great weather it is really staring to drive me crazy not working and can not even move the bike. Before the surgery my Doc said Mid may to ride but would love to hear from someone who has actually been through it.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The waiting and anticipation can be the worst part. I hope you heal well enough to ride as soon as the doctors think it’s ok. Everyone’s recovery situations can be somewhat different. At least you weren’t on your scoot instead of the Silverado. The outcome would have most likely been much worse. Good luck and I hope you can climb back on soon.

I had brain surgery 2 years ago last October. I was releasd from the hospital in 5 days. I was riding again in 2 weeks.

Last edited by shortride; 04-06-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. That sucks and I'm glad you were not riding your bike!
I can only go by my R/C surgeries but if your Doc says mid May I would say that's great news especially if haven't started PT yet. R/C would probably 4 months if you lied to your Dr. Thats a 6 month heal with other odds and ends going on for a year. Good luck and do every therapy session/exercises that you can!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have had both my shoulders rebuilt and or cleaned up. 12 weeks was the surgeons time to get working. both took 6 to 7 weeks with intense therapy but more than worth it. started riding as soon as i could pick arm up and control bike. stick to it and time will fly.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Intensefab
Cruiser

Had elbow surgery in February, just started PT this week. Have not been on the bike since January and still don't have enough mobility in my arm to ride! I don't think I'll be able to start riding again till at least May!

I feel your pain brother, I sit in the garage every day and look at the bike and cry!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM
ed parolini
Tourer

My wife had rotator cuff done a few years back. I don't remember the exact time frames but she was back at work well before her surgeon predicted. Her approach was to get back on the job as soon as he said she would do no damage to the shoulder by working, rather than getting full strength back and being pain-free. I guess you could say that the exercise of working became part of her therapy. Don't know if this approach would apply in your case and obviously you and your surgeon should discuss.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
bthinnes
Cruiser

I started PT after three weeks and then was starting to really get some use out of it after three more. Stay with the PT and follow the directions given religiously. Soooo important to shoulder recovery. After about 10 weeks I was back 100%.

Good Luck - Time will pass and you will be back on the scoot. :-)

Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 AM
fishn4life
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I had two torn tendons and one ligament in right shoulder a few years ago. I remember where you are right now and it does suck! Be patient and make sure you have a good PT who knows what he's talking about. 3 weeks into my rehab I realized my PT didn't have a clue so I switched PTs and it only confirmed I was missing out. The new PT had me doing completely different exercises and i was back to full duty 5 months from date of surgery.
Good luck & stay focused, too many stories out there where shoulder is 85% because they didn't finish PT.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got mine done a few years ago it was a about 3 months into rehab before I got on the bike. It depends a lot on you and what kind of shape you where in when it happened. I tore mine on the job (FF) and had a surgeon that does a lot of work for the pro athletes do mine. I was in PT the day after getting the pins put in. It was early spring when I got it done so I was pushing the doc to let me get back on the bike. He explained it really well to me and got me not to do it early. He was not concerned with my ability to ride, more my ability to handle an emergency situation. What he did to prove his point was while I was sitting there talking to him he tossed a ball at my "bad" arm to see if I could react quick enough. Well I could not do it, so he did it again after telling me. That time I could but only by twisting my body. So we made an agreement that once I could do that test he would let me ride. Took a month or more till I could. Once I got back on the bike I did a lot of really short errands to try to get my confidence up. I run with apes so that did not help the situation at that time as I had a hard time keeping my arm up for an extended period of time. It took almost another month of short trips before I was really comfortable with riding. I have no issues now and the apes actually help now with the arthritis I have. It took me 6 months until I went back to fully duty. Keep up with the PT and listen to your doc. Guys that I know who did not listen or keep up with PT all have had their surgeries redone. Good luck

Last edited by 06 flstfise; 04-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My right shoulder surgery I was out of commission for 6 weeks. Distal clavicle resection. Left shoulder I was down for almost 6 months before I was back 100%. That was also a dcr with a labrum tear, strained rotator cuff and ganglion cyst removal.

Just had spinal surgery a week and a half ago and should be good as new in 4 weeks. Big difference. Of course shoulder injuries take longer to recover from that neck.

Quick Reply: How long were you off with shoulder surgery?