Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Default Brake light switch question

Went for a ride on the interstate today, came up to my exit ramp, tapped the foot brake to disengage my cruise and nothing happened. After trying the rear brake a couple of more times, I applied the front brake and the cruise switched off. I never gave it another thought after that, but when I got home I did some checking and realized the brake lights don't come on when I apply my rear brakes. It was dark by the time I got home so I did'nt look around too much, but I am wondering where the rear brake light switch is located and if it is common for it to quit working? I do have a service manual and will read up on it tomorrow, just wondering if anybody has any advice of where to start trouble shooting.
P.S. I have an 2007 Ultra
Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn’t bet my life on it but would bet the cost of a new switch. Besides Harley there is an automotive cross referenced switch - Volkswagen, if I recall. The switch is near the tranny side-plate.

Easy and obvious how to replace once you see it. I have heard of people replacing it without losing significant fluid but I’d have the appropriate fluid for your bike standing by.

2008 StreetGlide - Stage 1, Bub 7 True Duals, SERT, Corbin Classic Solo, SE Compensator

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮
Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping it may be a loose wire, but suspect it is the switch. Daylight should help to find the problem
Old 04-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Club Member

Mine went out on my '09 RKC. Installing a new switch was an easy 15 minute swap out, lost no brake fluid, didn't have to bleed the brake, still rock hard. By the way, if you do it yourself, you will need a metric end wrench - go figure!

Your scooter might be covered under a recent recall so it might be replaced on HD's dime.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM

I have a recall for that switch on my 11 SG, maybe there's been a problem longer than they realized.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbeat View Post
Mine went out on my '09 RKC. Installing a new switch was an easy 15 minute swap out, lost no brake fluid, didn't have to bleed the brake, still rock hard. By the way, if you do it yourself, you will need a metric end wrench - go figure!

Your scooter might be covered under a recent recall so it might be replaced on HD's dime.
All 09 touring bikes have a recall for the switch. I'm not sure how far year wise it extends either way. I had mine replaced under recall.

09 Road King - Heritage bars, Sundowner w/adjustable backest, Tour-pak, American Custom slip ons, V&H Fuelpac & lots more goodies
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"
Jeff Silver
Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Road Captain

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/568/11...torcycles.aspx
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Normally the cruise control will not work at all if one of the brake light switches is not working. If the cruise control will not disengage at all there has to be something really wrong because that potentially could be a major safety and liability issue.

The rear brake light switch stopped working on my '09 Ultra Classic last year and the first thing I discoverd was that the cruise control wouldn't work.

Last edited by shortride; 04-07-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM

The cruise works fine, disengages if the front brake is applied. I check my bike over regularly , but I know that I usually check to see if my brake lights work by sitting on the bike and applying the front brake, which in this case makes the brake lights come on. I don't know how long the rear brake has not activated the brake lights, but this explains why my buddy was telling me that I needed to give him more warning when slowing down when I was in the lead. I usually warn the rider behind me that I am slowing by applying my rear brake a few times so they can see my brake lights. I always assumed that if the brake lights worked with the hand/front brake applied, they would also work with the rear/foot brake applied. Something to check next time you get on your bike!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Road Captain

Same thing happened to me with my '09 FLTR.....I don't know if the '07s are included in the rear brake switch recall....I changed mine out relatively easy.....just picked one up from my mechanic...drag specialties....worked fine after that....Good luck.

12 FLHTCU
09 FLTR; 07 FLHTC; 01 FLHR; 99 Victory Sport Cruiser (holy crap was this fast!); 92 XLH
~People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.~
~Fortis et Fidelis~
Romans 13:4
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

P