Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak on 2012 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 AM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default oil leak on 2012 Ultra

Well I can't buy anything new and not have something wrong with it.

Got our new Ultra last Sat, only 450 miles on it now and I have a burned out spot lamp, No rubber seal around the headlight and a big oil leak.

This leak is on top and the bottom of the oil pan. I checked to see if the oil filler cap was loose and its not and the filler neck is dry.

But on top of the case and all below it theres enough oil that when I got home and stopped I saw some smoke and it was oil dripping onto the hot pipe.

Anyone else had this problem? Im taking it back to the dealer this week anyway for a stage 2 upgrade so they will get this under warranty.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

- make sure your new stage 2 upgrade doesn't pooch your warranty...

when the dealer says yes, get that in writing.

many common mods affect the factory warranty, the dealer cannot change the terms of the H-D factory warranty- so anything they tell you get in writing.

Mike

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I would be concerned letting the dealer that prepped this bike do any mods to it. As recommended, get warranty claims in writing.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM
wildey
Cruiser

I didn't ask for it in writing, but at least in Mich and this is my 3rd harley all of the dealers that do the upgrades stand behind them.

If you take it to another dealer they will send you to the ones that did the upgrade.

The person at this dealer told us that they have had others who had their upgrades there break down in other states and to just give them their name and number and they will make sure it gets done no matter where you at.

So hopefully I won't have to try it, but I been that route before with my 06 and the dealer issues

Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The bolts on the oil filter bracket have been known to get loose on some bikes. Also, check your oil filter for tightness. Oil leaking from the oil filter area can blow back on the motor deck. If you have an oil cooler, check the integrity of the feeding lines.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
wildey
Cruiser

Yep checked all that yesterday and everything was good, It was also all dry at the front end too.

I just can't figure out how the top under the starter area is all wet? Like I mentioned I thought it might have been the filler cap but that was tight and the neck is bone dry so it doesn't appear that it came from there at all,

Even behind the read cylinder is dry too

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

If it's over near the starter and you see nothing at the base of the rear cylinder, then maybe its primary lubricant. Check for snugness of the primary cover bolts. Also, clean and examine the seal between the inner primary and the engine case.

You need to really clean the oil off and take a short ride to try to see where this stuff is originating. Sorry you are having these troubles. It's not supposed to be like that.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
- make sure your new stage 2 upgrade doesn't pooch your warranty...

when the dealer says yes, get that in writing.

many common mods affect the factory warranty, the dealer cannot change the terms of the H-D factory warranty- so anything they tell you get in writing.

Mike
If the dealer cannot change the terms of the factory warranty, what difference does it make if he "gets it in writing"?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by ConnMan
If the dealer cannot change the terms of the factory warranty, what difference does it make if he "gets it in writing"?
If he has it in writing from the dealer, then he has a statement from the dealer which can be enforced in small claims or other venue.

The dealer is one company, H-D is another company.

If the dealer makes statements, claims, warranties in writing then they can be held to honor those claims.
the dealer cannot change the terms of the 2 yr. factory warranty

The OP seems to be comfortable with his choice. and is depending on the dealer choosing to fix his bike, if he breaks down close to home ( and not in Sturgis or Daytona) and if they stay in business.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-08-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
wildey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
If it's over near the starter and you see nothing at the base of the rear cylinder, then maybe its primary lubricant. Check for snugness of the primary cover bolts. Also, clean and examine the seal between the inner primary and the engine case.

You need to really clean the oil off and take a short ride to try to see where this stuff is originating. Sorry you are having these troubles. It's not supposed to be like that.
Well now you got me thinking and that sounds like it makes sense. Im going to go out in a little bit and take a look at the primary, maybe open up the derby cover to see if its low too.

If it is the gasket, im going to keep it dirty and oily like it is since its going to the dealer anyways as I want a new gasket put on not just tighten.

If I clean it and tighten it and it don't leak then they won't do anything and it just may crop up again since its best to replace a gasket when they leak.

Got to get it trailered today to for tomorrows 3 hr drive down.

Thanks for the idea

Quick Reply: oil leak on 2012 Ultra