Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Road King cruise control problem

Old 04-08-2012, 10:08 AM
CRAIGFARTHING
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Road King cruise control problem

My cruise control started working intermettently. It would just shut off and then you would have to reset it. Then it stop working all together.

I replaced the resume and set switch because I was getting low voltage at the Cruise control modual. That did not fix it. I now get good voltage at the Resume / Accel pin and the SET / Coast pin. The throttle rolloff switch is working OK. I get 12vdc to the cruise control module when I roll back the throttle. The brake signal works ok - only get 12vdc when breaks are on. Got a good ground on pin E. 12vdc on pin A when the Cruise control switch is on. 12VDC when the ignition is on at pin F.

I have checked the on board diag and do not have any error codes under the P, S, SP and T diags. All of the linkages have been checked twice. I have verified every pin several time.

I have 12vdc on the engine speed pin H from the ECM and 5 vdc on pin K from the ECM - not sure if that is right as it is a computer and I don't know what should be coming out of the ECM.

So I replaced the Cruise control Module ($400.00 beans) - nothing Changed.

I get the orange light on the speedometer and it never changes to green. I know the green light works because I can ground the pin J ( set Lamp) and the light turns green.

I can not do a cable lash initialization. I never get the green light.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can tell me if I am getting the right signal from the ECM.

I am at a lose.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Unplug the rolloff wires on the idle cable and see if it works. If so the roll off switch is bad, if that works just leave them unplugged use the brakes to kick off criuse just like in your 4 wheel vehicle.

Check your switches with an ohm meter before replacing them. If they ohm out theyre not the problem. Never seen a module go out unless it was physically damaged or the tape breaks.

Last edited by hog-doc; 04-08-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM
CRAIGFARTHING
Stage II

I disconnected the rolloff switch leads. I disconnected the brake light switches. I wired around the set and resume switch pins at the cruise control module. Wired around and put 12 VDC on the ignition and on /off pin. I checked all wiring pins for correct voltages - nothing found. Ran all of the on board diagnostics - no error codes. Checked and pushed on each pin going into the Cruise control module. Still getting 8.04 VDC at the engine speed pin and 5VDC on the speed signal pin when the enigne is not running. These voltages are coming from the ECM - not sure if that is correct.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:01 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in the back of your mind the replacement module COULD be bad. Is it new/off-the-shelf? I had a module crap-out electrically. The dealer tested the module and reported it 'good' and couldn't find any other issues... I took the bike to an Indy, who checked everything (as you have) and told me: "It's got to be the module." It was...

Alan

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM
hogfun
Advanced

This is an older thread, and was wondering if their was a resolution to the problem.
Have a riding buddy with a 2007 RK Classic and his cruise is acting the same, has an orange light, does go green when resetting the cruise control lash.
But at highway speeds (65 to 80) it will not set...although it will set at lower speeds. (40 -50)
Any ideas would be appreciated... also just found out it is hard to find modules that are 2007 and older... whats up with that?