Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM/GPS Question

Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 AM
vanthony
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM/GPS Question

I have an Utra Classic and I am wanting to install xm and or GPS. I don't know wheather to install them separately or buy an all in one unit. Some of the reviews on the Garmin 665 are not too good. I don't know if it plugs into the aux. on the radio or if you have to use ear buds. I want to plug the xm into my radio to use the bike's speakers.
So, do I buy a seperate xm and use my old gps seperatly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vanthony
I have an Utra Classic and I am wanting to install xm and or GPS. I don't know wheather to install them separately or buy an all in one unit. Some of the reviews on the Garmin 665 are not too good. I don't know if it plugs into the aux. on the radio or if you have to use ear buds. I want to plug the xm into my radio to use the bike's speakers.

Thanks
The way I did it aw to install the HD XM kit on the radio and my Garmin Zumo on the fairing. The Zumo interfaces thru the Aux jack but I never use the voice commands.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
vanthony
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ElectraEd
The way I did it aw to install the HD XM kit on the radio and my Garmin Zumo on the fairing. The Zumo interfaces thru the Aux jack but I never use the voice commands.

I have an amp mouonted on my factory radio. Will this kit still install? What do you mean by voice commands?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks
I've done it both ways. My current bike came with the Garmin 660 with the XM module installed. It works great. Music and turn by turn directions through the speakers or headset.

My last bike was a 2011 Limited. I had a Garmin Zumo 550 with the GXM 30 antenna. The antenna, which is actually the radio too, was mounted on a bracket behind the 550. I ran the audio cable down the handle bars and behind the fairing. I then fed the cable back outside between the radio and the inner fairing. There's enough of a gap around the radio to do this. Then just plugged it into the AUX port. Obvoiusly you can't change XM stations with the bikes audio controls but you can adjust the volume with them. With AUX selected I had XM and turn by turn directions in my headset or through the speakers. Because the XM goes through the 550 it'll mute the music when directions come up.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the road tech zumo 665 with XM. The music comes through the speakers/headset via the Aux on the radio. Hand controls still control volume but I have to change the radio stations on the zumo. If you go with separate XM radio and GPS then you have to mount two different items and figure out how to get the outputs to the radio.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
vanthony
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
I have the road tech zumo 665 with XM. The music comes through the speakers/headset via the Aux on the radio. Hand controls still control volume but I have to change the radio stations on the zumo. If you go with separate XM radio and GPS then you have to mount two different items and figure out how to get the outputs to the radio.

So, if I use the 665, I can plug it into the aux. and not have to use the headset? All sound comes through the bike speakers?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

I have an amp mouonted on my factory radio. Will this kit still install? What do you mean by voice commands?
Not sure about the amp. My XM module mounted next to the CB module. The voice commands are the turn by turn directions coming from the GPS. The only time you get them is when the Aux is selected. I don' t care for the sound quality from the Garmin so I don't use it for music and I don't care for the voice turn by turn.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM
vanthony
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LA VIC
I've done it both ways. My current bike came with the Garmin 660 with the XM module installed. It works great. Music and turn by turn directions through the speakers or headset.

My last bike was a 2011 Limited. I had a Garmin Zumo 550 with the GXM 30 antenna. The antenna, which is actually the radio too, was mounted on a bracket behind the 550. I ran the audio cable down the handle bars and behind the fairing. I then fed the cable back outside between the radio and the inner fairing. There's enough of a gap around the radio to do this. Then just plugged it into the AUX port. Obvoiusly you can't change XM stations with the bikes audio controls but you can adjust the volume with them. With AUX selected I had XM and turn by turn directions in my headset or through the speakers. Because the XM goes through the 550 it'll mute the music when directions come up.
But can I adjust the XM channels on the 665 and the radio channels as usual while in motion if I use radio instead of XM at the time?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM
vanthony
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ElectraEd
Not sure about the amp. My XM module mounted next to the CB module. The voice commands are the turn by turn directions coming from the GPS. The only time you get them is when the Aux is selected. I don' t care for the sound quality from the Garmin so I don't use it for music and I don't care for the voice turn by turn.
I am not too sure what the XM module is. Is that just an adapter to connect an Xm to the radio or is it the XM itself?
Vic

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
ElectraEd
Cruiser

But can I adjust the XM channels on the 665 and the radio channels as usual while in motion if I use radio instead of XM at the time?
This is the reason I went with the HD XM module...so I could adjust the channels and see them in the display on the HD radio. I use the XM all the time. I only use the GPS when riding in unknown areas. I only use the GPS for GPS functions.

The XM module is from HD an adds XM functionality to your factory radio.

Last edited by ElectraEd; 04-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XM/GPS Question