Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to hear some tunes on the Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Go with earbuds..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM
abidzip
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rumble Road Ultra speakers on my road king, 200 watts and a riders claw ipod holder, this stereo is loud!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by eland
I was wondering what some of you guys are doing for tunes on a Road King.
I have played with several systems over the years. The absolute best bang for the buck is a pair of neckband lightweight headphones, can be searched for on Ebay or Amazon.com under that description. They are designed with headband that runs behind your neck allowing you to wear these with 90% of helmet styles. Sound quality is outstanding and they are easy to use, and much more comfortable then "buds." When you stop just remove your helmet and drop the headphones down around your neck, when ready to ride, raise 'em up and put on your helmet. They make a closed and open style ear piece, depending on model, that can block out most outside noise and wind, or open style to allow outside noise and cooling in. Both work well depending on your preference. You can buy a good pair of these for $10, or 2 pair and keep a spare with. If you want an "audiofile" type sound thru these headphones, you can buy a small headphone amp that clips on or bundled with your player. They have 8- 80hrs of boost and are rechargeble, these cost about $25 for a good one, check out FIIO E6 amps. They also make IPOD specific cables and wireless bluetooth set ups. All good sounding and for a fraction of speakers, amps etc.

Last edited by checkers; 04-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Nirvana
I have the same. Works fine. Sound quality isn't as good as a decent set of earbuds, but earbuds are illegal in most states ...
+ 1 on the illegal in most states but to me it is imperative that I hear what is happening all around, the stereo is to augment your pleasure riding not dominate, earbuds close out road noise (IMO).

I installed a standard radio and 2 500 watt amps for front and rear which will fill the air with music but still allow me to hear the maniac honking as he tries to run me down, it has happened, I also ride with a camera system to record dumb-asses, for the record.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

Nothing. Tunes belong in the home or car. My pipes are a symphony from Heaven! If I can't hear my pipes, I am losing part of the essence of motorcycling.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:28 AM
kitt90
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rk sounds

I just installed a boss amp and handle bar speakers on my 07 rk the amp is under the seat and I run an apple 5th gen shuffle . the speakers were spossed to be 3 inch but I got 4 inch ones the sit close to the center of the fork lock top behind the windshield after I installed this I went 85 mph down the freeway and I could hear the music just fine and I did not have it turned up all the way , im also happy my boss unit came with its own volume control as the apple control is so small its hard to turn it up with gloves on I did a lot of research before I ordered the boss . the reviews were mixed but for less than 60 for the amp speakers and pretty mush pre wired compared to kuryakan at 300 for just the speakers im happy

Old 12-20-2014, 07:10 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a Boom Audio windshield mount speaker and an amp from HD. Just plug in the iPod and play. I recently bought a Dragon Fly fairing with a sound system. The Boom Audio is for sale.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have Uclear Bluetooth audio and my IPhone. It works great and I don't subject other people to my choice in music as I ride.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:30 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankC
ear buds with my ipod in my pocket. run the cord under your shirt so it doesnt flap around in the breeze. never had a problem and since they are made to keep the sound out, they dont have to be cranked up.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:18 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 Shovelking
I think I've settled on the HD Boom Audio windshield mounted system. Many who have had both report it works better than the bar mount system, and I figure I probably won't hear any stereo if the windsheild is removed anyway. May not be the end all, but looks like good quality, and I like the factory looking controls. Plenty of youtube clips of these out there.
I keep eyeballing this myself. My hang up is... Strive to keep wires to a minimum (ie- internal bar wires, wire clean up etc) and this unit does not help. Wish the Moco would make this Bluetooth and run the volume thru the device...

Quick Reply: Wanting to hear some tunes on the Road King