Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StreetGlide vs RoadKing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I am close to making a deal on a 2016 Ultra Limited for my 2015 Road King. Love my Road King, my wife doesn't like the seat or sissy bar backrest. She is envious of the wraparound ones on the Ultras. I know I could add a tour pack with wraparound, and if I want, a Reckless fairing to the front, but that would put me out about $2k+. The biggest factor is the great, very low APR my credit union is offering me. I bought the RK used and coupled with some credit blemishes, it was not the best. But now with those fixed, what I am getting for my RK, what I am paying for the Ultra with a detachable tour pak, and the interest savings all add up to a deal hard to ignore and pass up. I will know after a couple of days of pondering it.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i just bought a Road King and it just had a $1800.00 HOPPE fairing installed, with 4 speakers, 150 watt amp, and a jensen blue-tooth stereo, also has the controls fro it right above the left switches, easy to adjust and tune. the salesman at the dealer has a SG and told me the only difference was the fairing that comes on the SG, windshield on the RK. but for $1800.00 you can get a custom fairing, then again im sure you can take the fairing off the SG. what i did was take the fairing off and install a windshield. but like having that fairing laying around, who knows when ii want to install it and listen to some tunes.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:43 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
I'll chime in here,
I was always fortunate to own two bikes, some kind of bar hoppin" hot rod and a fairing touring bike of some kind. Well those dayz have been no more for about three years now and I always told myself that if I owed only one HD it would be a Road King. I felt being right in the middle i'd be happy. Well although I put together one real nice "07 FLHRS, It's not a full touring bike nor the hot rod I used to ride. I don't miss the hot rod nearly as much as I do that fairing and stereo running down the road. I believe this sweet King is going to be replaced with a new Road Glide Custom real soon.......

Ditto.....

I had 4 RK's before my first Road Glide (on my 3rd now), my favorite RK was identical to yours!

As to the OP's question. Go rent each for a day, put 150 miles on each...Then decide yourself.
Personally, I now do a fair amount of touring and don't think I would give up my Boom box and do another King. Unfortunately my Wide Glide stays parked even when doing a short 50 mile ride because I like the music... Try them yourself, again for a day each at least.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:00 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

get the one with the fairing.

Attached Thumbnails StreetGlide vs RoadKing-screen-shot-2016-09-17-at-5.48.47-am.png   StreetGlide vs RoadKing-screen-shot-2016-09-17-at-5.50.08-am.png  
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,237 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Tell you what I think, Deciding between the Road Or Street Glides is one thing, but a Street Glide and Road King are so far apart the OP must be clueless.

I must be clueless as well, since I'm going through a similar decision.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
I must be clueless as well, since I'm going through a similar decision.
Hmmm...old thread, but I'll throw in my dos centavos.

I went though the same thing as well a few years ago. All I can say is rent each bike for a day and put them through their paces. I did, using a planned course, including city driving, super slab, twisties, and even some not so smooth roads, and slow riding maneuvers. Decide on which bike speaks to you. They're both great rides, but in the end, I went for better handling (to me), great looks (again to me), and versatility.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I am one who has a Road King, and a detachable fairing. I don't really care for the fairing (yeah I'm in the minority here). Which is good because I'm not stuck with one. Really comes down to if you want a radio or not. I think the RK windshield provides a more comfortable riding air pocket in my opinion. Plus it is a great looking bike.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:18 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,237 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I am one who has a Road King, and a detachable fairing. I don't really care for the fairing (yeah I'm in the minority here). Which is good because I'm not stuck with one. Really comes down to if you want a radio or not. I think the RK windshield provides a more comfortable riding air pocket in my opinion. Plus it is a great looking bike.

Referencing the bolded above, does the fairing or the windshield cut through the air better at higher speeds?

Old 10-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I think so. The fairing (which has a high windshield on it) seem to buffet much more at high speeds.

But the fairing does offer some more hand protection from the wind. Only an issue for me if I'm riding in the 30's or 40's which unfortunately is part of our riding season here in Minnesota.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:50 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Lloyd

Well damn....... What was the question again????

Quick Reply: StreetGlide vs RoadKing