Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Supporter
OnOurHog
Default How do I know if I have an exhaust leak on my FLHTK

Just installed Vance and Hines power duals with monster ovals.I also put on a screaming eagle vintilator and power vision. I think I have a front exhaust leak but could just be the air intake. How can I tell?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Does your exhaust pop when decelerating?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Prospect

My heavy breather makes it sound like an exhaust leak but more from in front than while on the bike. I'd be willing to bet that you would be able to hear an exhaust leak while in the saddle a lot better.

2007 FLHRS - Rinehart True Duals - SE Heavy Breather - Front End Blackout - Vindikta 14" Wildcat - Cyclevisions Plate Eliminator
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
New Guy

Try covering the ends of the mufflers with your hands while the engine is running (use gloves to prevent burning). This will sometimes let you hear any leak that may be elsewhere in the system.
Also look for any black or carbon around any of the head pipes or any other joint in the system.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoozoo View Post
Does your exhaust pop when decelerating?
You can check with something as simple as an incense stick or anything that puts off enough smoke to easily see. With bike idling hold it below area you suspect is leaking and watch for smoke to move around. zoozoo is right about the exhaust popping on decel, if it doesn't pop your probably OK.

2005 Road Glide
Painted by my brother
Old 07-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have an 06. Fxstsi with SE ll slip ons. Vance and hines fuel manage box and SE breather. My bike pops on decel some . Was worse before I changed out all gaskets and clamps but you have to do it all at once, no shortcuts, no repositioning parts etc to be sure that all is new and tight. And even then it'll pop a little. With stock muffle you just don't hear it as loud. My advice is to try not to decel that often if possible.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Road Captain

Exhaust "popping" can also be, and usually is, a result of tuning. Don't automatically assume you have a leak because of the popping. With bike idling, preferably in confined area, carefully blow some smoke from a cigar towards suspected area of leak and watch to see if smoke is blown away by leak. Otherwise, dialing in your tune may be necessary. I have no exhaust leak on my 13' RG and have run multiple auto-tunes with a PV to dial it in. Bike runs strong but still pops on occasion. I wouldn't sweat it...

Last edited by gliderman; 07-14-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Road Master

cigaret or cigar smoke has always worked for me. Incense stick as mentioned above will work. I guess there's more technical methods but I've never been one to look up a chickens butt to see if they were ready to lay eggs.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM

P