Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans shift shaft arm loose??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default trans shift shaft arm loose??

I have a 11 flhrc and it appears the arm that attaches to the shift shaft that comes out of the trans is loose...is this normal?? I got a mirror and tried to look in behind the inner primary case but it is hard to see...it appears like the shaft itself is not wobbling just the arm...I tried loosing and tightening the allen bolt but it didn't seem to make a difference...its not real-fall off loose...just has a little play in it...

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrfikser
I have a 11 flhrc and it appears the arm that attaches to the shift shaft that comes out of the trans is loose...is this normal?? I got a mirror and tried to look in behind the inner primary case but it is hard to see...it appears like the shaft itself is not wobbling just the tarm...I tried loosing and tightening the allen bolt but it didn't seem to make a difference...its not real-fall off loose...just has a little play in it...
No, it's not normal. Just got my '11 Road Glide back from the dealer for the exact same thing. Noticed it when i was washing it last week. I don't know how long it had been like that but it sure shifts a lot smoother now.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

It happens but haven't heard this on a newer bike. I'm sure your warranty will cover it. Here is some reading from a guy that sells a lever to fix it your self...

http://betterlever.com/index.php

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM
slasher
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have personally replaced the loose stock shifter with a better lever on a 2008 flhx. Took all of 15 min. There is a recess in the back of the primary casting that allows you to r&r the lever without having to pull the whole primary (ulike older models) If this happens again after your warranty replacement,I would highly recommend this route.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

that little bit of play will cause wear till it strips,try a grade 8 bolt and tighten the snot out of it,if that doesn't tighten it up better lever.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by slasher
I have personally replaced the loose stock shifter with a better lever on a 2008 flhx. Took all of 15 min. There is a recess in the back of the primary casting that allows you to r&r the lever without having to pull the whole primary (ulike older models) If this happens again after your warranty replacement,I would highly recommend this route.
Slasher, show us this 15 minute mode...dont hold out on us.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
that little bit of play will cause wear till it strips,try a grade 8 bolt and tighten the snot out of it,if that doesn't tighten it up better lever.
What size bolt did you use? How hard did you have to crank it?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
slasher
Novice

Its simple,take pinch bolt out of existing lever,pull lever outboard while tilting top of lever in towards bike.The recess in back of primary allows enough clearance for lever to clear the shaft. Install is reverse. I have heard some dealers are still charging the 5-6 hrs or so to pull primary/swap levers,as with the older models.If you have the recess in the back of your primary,this is a simple do it your self swap.I also installed a better lever on my 96 fatboy (no recess),and had to cut the old lever off. It took me 3 hrs to do. still way cheaper than dealer.The better lever is stainless steel and of much higher quality than stock.

Last edited by slasher; 04-15-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Hey... I just had this exact same thing happen with my '99 FLHRC. Not a problem to fix, make sure the pinch bolt is loose, work the lever back on, and crank the bolt back in. A little blue locktite helps.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Billyo~
Stage IV

My 2011 ultra rear shift lever at trans had more slop than I wanted to see. 15k miles. This yr bike the lever can be removed without removing primaries and covers. I took them all apart , removed the shift lever, behind the lever there is a small snap ring and a washer. I put an additional .010" shim washer along with the stock washer to remove some of the in and out end play. Installed a new shift lever from harley and tightened the new bolt extra tight with red loctite. Put it all back together and all is good.

Quick Reply: trans shift shaft arm loose??