Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xied's Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

IED's and their variants (XIED's, etc.) work only in closed-loop mode, so they will not alter dyno numbers (peak HP and TQ) at all. Accordingly, they make no adjustments outside that range once you enter open-loop, which is above ~85kpa or 50-60% throttle and ~3500-4500 rpm (depending on year-model). They also may prompt the ECM to throw codes if they alter the closed-loop area too much, i.e. outside the limitations of the O2 sensors (~14.4:1), but AFAIK these are historical codes that won't prompt the check-engine light to illuminate, revealing themselves only if checked. Can anyone verify this?

IED's will cool the engine down a bit at idle and in the cruise-range by lowering the AFR, how much depending on the variant that you buy, but in the tests I've made on my bike by experimenting with two different tuners (PCV-AT and PV) this doesn't translate into a meaningful improvement. They also may increase part-throttle response, but gas mileage will take a dive when AFR decreases this much.

Other than that they do nothing, and if you plan on moving beyond stock to a full-Stage 1 or greater you will need a real tuner, or as a minimum the much-maligned (rightly so, IMO) and overpriced HD "Stage 1 download." Despite claims that they are not recommended for Stage 1 applications (including AC), I think they may work acceptably on some models. On others the open-loop area will run unacceptably lean, just as they would without IED's or a tuner installed.

I'm not putting IED's down, as I do think they have a market niche with value for some riders, but I think potential buyers should realize their limitations before jumping into a purchase. Again, if you want some cooling and part-throttle-response improvements and don't aspire to changes beyond a muffler swap these can help a bit in the two areas mentioned. If I'm missing any other aspect of operation they aid I'd appreciate any info.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
IED's and their variants (XIED's, etc.) work only in closed-loop mode, so they will not alter dyno numbers (peak HP and TQ) at all. Accordingly, they make no adjustments outside that range once you enter open-loop, which is above ~85kpa or 50-60% throttle and ~3500-4500 rpm (depending on year-model). They also may prompt the ECM to throw codes if they alter the closed-loop area too much, i.e. outside the limitations of the O2 sensors (~14.4:1), but AFAIK these are historical codes that won't prompt the check-engine light to illuminate, revealing themselves only if checked. Can anyone verify this?

IED's will cool the engine down a bit at idle and in the cruise-range by lowering the AFR, how much depending on the variant that you buy, but in the tests I've made on my bike by experimenting with two different tuners (PCV-AT and PV) this doesn't translate into a meaningful improvement. They also may increase part-throttle response, but gas mileage will take a dive when AFR decreases this much.

Other than that they do nothing, and if you plan on moving beyond stock to a full-Stage 1 or greater you will need a real tuner, or as a minimum the much-maligned (rightly so, IMO) and overpriced HD "Stage 1 download." Despite claims that they are not recommended for Stage 1 applications (including AC), I think they may work acceptably on some models. On others the open-loop area will run unacceptably lean, just as they would without IED's or a tuner installed.

I'm not putting IED's down, as I do think they have a market niche with value for some riders, but I think potential buyers should realize their limitations before jumping into a purchase. Again, if you want some cooling and part-throttle-response improvements and don't aspire to changes beyond a muffler swap these can help a bit in the two areas mentioned. If I'm missing any other aspect of operation they aid I'd appreciate any info.
You're off track here, no one asked about any of that.

iclick, do you secretly work for fuel moto?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
You're off track here, no one asked about any of that.

iclick, do you secretly work for fuel moto?
Really, he is not off track and is just being very informative, hard to dispute anything he said. It's fundamentally wrong for someone to come on here and try to convince people the XIEDs are the cure all and you'll never need a tuner until you do engine work, just like it's wrong for guys to come on here and say you always need a tuner. The forum is to become informed and make intelligent decisions. You have to filter out all the crap and do good research, a lot of what is said on the forum is true, a lot is not. I can't put down XIEDs, I have no data to back my claim if I did, but the info here was pretty much common knowledge if you do your homework. Lots of guys add them at the same time as pipes and air cleaners then say how great their bike runs. Many times I have experienced seeing people add pipes to their bikes, actually lose power, but the extra noise gives the impression it is running stronger. Must be right? It's louder. Me, personally, I like to make sure my bike is running at absolute peak, not just good enough, so I will invest in a tuner and have it tuned. If you're happy with how your bike runs and don't care that it might run better and you don't want to pay to find out, then that is good for you, too. This XIED, tuner, dealer flash fight will go on for a long, long time .....

Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM
mikedanben
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought the XIED's love them on my softail. they keep the motor cooler and let you drive in a gear and "lug" rather than always shifting down gears at lower speeds. Yes, if you twist it beyond 1/4 you will want the air cleaner upgraded. I did that and it helped. But then i added the commander. Now I have all three (stock pipes) and love it. I will not take my XIED's off and it will be the first thing that I buy when I get a street glide someday. I love the low end fuel at the bottom of the gears.
Peace.
Jim

Last edited by mikedanben; 04-15-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikedanben
Bought the XIED's love them on my softail. they keep the motor cooler and let you drive in a gear and "lug" rather than always shifting down gears at lower speeds. Yes, if you twist it beyond 1/4 you will want the air cleaner upgraded. I did that and it helped. But then i added the commander. Now I have all three (stock pipes) and love it. I will not take my XIED's off and it will be the first thing that I buy when I get a street glide someday. I live the low end fuel at the bottom of the gears.
Peace.
Jim
So..... you have an air cleaner, a Power Commander and XIEDs. If so, I rest my case on my last post, research and learn. Everything the XIEDs do can be tuned into the Power Commnader and the tune is not "static".

Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Really, he is not off track and is just being very informative, hard to dispute anything he said. It's fundamentally wrong for someone to come on here and try to convince people the XIEDs are the cure all and you'll never need a tuner until you do engine work, just like it's wrong for guys to come on here and say you always need a tuner. The forum is to become informed and make intelligent decisions. You have to filter out all the crap and do good research, a lot of what is said on the forum is true, a lot is not. I can't put down XIEDs, I have no data to back my claim if I did, but the info here was pretty much common knowledge if you do your homework. Lots of guys add them at the same time as pipes and air cleaners then say how great their bike runs. Many times I have experienced seeing people add pipes to their bikes, actually lose power, but the extra noise gives the impression it is running stronger. Must be right? It's louder. Me, personally, I like to make sure my bike is running at absolute peak, not just good enough, so I will invest in a tuner and have it tuned. If you're happy with how your bike runs and don't care that it might run better and you don't want to pay to find out, then that is good for you, too. This XIED, tuner, dealer flash fight will go on for a long, long time .....

Yes, he is off track. This is not an Xied/Tuner debate. The question was and I qoute: "My question is if I add a stage one air cleaner will my xied's still keep it running as it is now. I'm thinking of going with the Fuel Moto billet air cleaner."

Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Sporty 66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xied's

Have you ever use them?
Originally Posted by iclick

IED's will cool the engine down a bit at idle and in the cruise-range by lowering the AFR, how much depending on the variant that you buy, but in the tests I've made on my bike by experimenting with two different tuners (PCV-AT and PV) this doesn't translate into a meaningful improvement. They also may increase part-throttle response, but gas mileage will take a dive when AFR decreases this much. Have you ever used them?

Old 04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Yes, he is off track. This is not an Xied/Tuner debate. The question was and I qoute: "My question is if I add a stage one air cleaner will my xied's still keep it running as it is now. I'm thinking of going with the Fuel Moto billet air cleaner."
Yeah, you're right, we should all stay exactly on the finite discussion of the post and not add any insight that might make the OP make an INFORMED decision on anything in the future that disagrees with other's opinions in the post. So sorry, my humblest apologies to you .........

Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM
W0ace
Tourer

Guy is WAY off track.....

Little over 1 year, 35,000 miles on 96" with XIED's only.

STAGE 1 DOWNLOAD DOES NOT CHANGE FUEL MIXTURE!!!!

It only changes the timing tables. Fuel remains at 13.8:1 mixture up to about 65% throttle, then it goes full rich, 12.8:1 above and beyond that.

The XIED's I use keep my bike running 13.2:1 Dyno verified, hold throttle anywhere from 2,000 RPM up to 3,500 RPM and look at the readings on the sniffers while on the Dyno.

I was told same thing from my Dyno/Dealership....spot on, don't mess with it. Runs out great, in all temps and altitudes, been from sea level to over 14,000 feet on it now.

No need for tuner with Stage 1, just XIED's....

Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM
W0ace
Tourer

No codes from my bike either, I have a code reader....

Quick Reply: Xied's Question