Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xied's Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frog spent more money than you...his bike is better than yours. Lol!!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee Bagger
Frog spent more money than you...his bike is better than yours. Lol!!
LOL is right.

I put the 4" Rineharts on at the dealer.

Added the XiED at 2500 miles, and

did the FM billet air cleaner at 5000 miles.

I SPENT LESS MONEY AND I CAN LIVE WITH THAT! LOL OL!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

i ran xieds for a year on my 07, just slip ons(with the a\c they didn't cut it)they were a slight improvement over stock still got too hot and would start pinging,with the a\c ping was just as bad as stock.went to a pc5 huge improvement all ping gone and runs cooler.not saying pc5 is the way to go,but saying a tune with any tuner is far better than xied.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
mikedanben
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Ok

Originally Posted by frog13
So..... you have an air cleaner, a Power Commander and XIEDs. If so, I rest my case on my last post, research and learn. Everything the XIEDs do can be tuned into the Power Commnader and the tune is not "static".
I think I get your point, but you need to relax. We are not here to learn from you. We are here to throw ideas out amongst friends.
Peace

Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Really, he is not off track and is just being very informative, hard to dispute anything he said. It's fundamentally wrong for someone to come on here and try to convince people the XIEDs are the cure all and you'll never need a tuner until you do engine work, just like it's wrong for guys to come on here and say you always need a tuner.
XIED's a "cure all"? Not even sure what a "cure all" is.

But I've got a good bit of experience with IED's/tuners and before them, carbs, jets and timing. I see absolutely no reason to spend money on a tuner on a stage 1 or stock bike.

So..... you have an air cleaner, a Power Commander and XIEDs. If so, I rest my case on my last post, research and learn. Everything the XIEDs do can be tuned into the Power Commnader and the tune is not "static".
Yep, and it's all about performance per dollar in my book. On a stock or stage 1 bike the performance gain of a tuner over IED's is minimal. I bought my PCIII when planning to put in my cams and ran it for a while in place of the IED's before putting in the cams. Better performance? Throttle response? Cooler? Nope. I ran three different maps over the course of 4 to 6 weeks. No discernible difference. I'm sure there would be a difference on a dyno, or with multiple passes at the drag strip. Nothing worth my money on a street bike though.

I find iClicks argument pretty funny considering it is basically opposite logic to the argument he uses to support his cams.

When defending his cam choice the argument is most riding is done at low throttle settings and low rpm. But his "problem" with XIED's is that they only help at low throttle settings and low rpm (relatively).

His second argument for his cams is that they can be purchased for cheap used, yet he advocates an expensive tuner solution in place of cheap IED's for a stock or stage 1 bike?

whatever...

Last edited by ocezam; 04-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM
chidiver
Cruiser

After I did pipes and AC, I had the dealer do a download on the bike. After that I added the xied and it ran great. Plenty of power and close to 50 mpg.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
You're off track here, no one asked about any of that.

iclick, do you secretly work for fuel moto?
I've been told by other forum member's that iclick doesn't work for Fuelmoto, but get's free stuff for shilling their product's here.

He is not only off track with the op's question,. he's wrong with some of his info. I don't know why iclick did this post? He know's that I as well as other's on here run full Stage 1 setup's with Xied's and get good result's. I've run them with a 2into1 catless header and powertube muffler. I'm back to a stock 2into2 header w/cat and modified stock muffler's. My gas mileage only dropped 2 MPG with the Xied's. If he knew what he was talking about, he would know they also effect the open loop about 5%.
Check the fact's!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

IED's are a perfectly good solution for bone stock bikes that are running lean from the factory. They also are a good solution for bikes with high flow A/C's and exhaust.

Are they the only good solution? No. Are they the most cost efficient for most people in most circumstance. Probably.

BTW, regarding Dyno runs- I use a Dyno to run thru the gears at cruising throttle settings. With the sniffer you can tell what your AFR is, as well as identifying any flat spots in power/torque.

The typical WOT Dyno run is interesting, but not nearly as useful as the info you can get cruising thru the gears on the Dyno.

Last time I had a bike on the Dyno that had X14iED's installed, along with a Hi-Flow Air Cleaner and free flowing exhaust the AFR stayed right at 13.85:1-13.95:1 all thru cruising acceleration (NOT WOT) thru the gears. Power/Torque was a nice curve. Hard to get better than that, especially for $100.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll try to address each comment made about my reply one by one. FWIW, I replied not in response to the OP but to some comments made thereafter that I felt might misrepresent the operation of IED's, I assume unintentionally. I tried to make it clear that I think they have a place in the market and can work favorably for some people.

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I've been told by other forum member's that iclick doesn't work for Fuelmoto, but get's free stuff for shilling their product's here.
I don't mind someone disagreeing with my ideas on tuners, cams, or whatever--as an intelligent and friendly debate is good for everyone. But the "other forum members" who made the claim that I trade favorable feedback for products from FM are lying. I have never "shilled" for anyone and will never do it here or anywhere else. I'm frankly disappointed that anyone would make a statement such as this without foundation or any evidence, as this is the first time I've heard it. I promote FM because I feel they do an excellent job and sell quality products. Please, let's not stoop to tabloid gossip here.

He's wrong with some of his info. I don't know why iclick did this post? He know's that I as well as other's on here run full Stage 1 setup's with Xied's and get good result's.
I believe I said they had a niche in the overall market, didn't I? I also tried to make it clear that I was not bashing them. Could you list the info that I provided that is wrong, as you didn't mention anything specific? Thanks in advance, as I'm here to learn.

If he knew what he was talking about, he would know they also effect the open loop about 5%. Check the fact's!
Could you explain how this works? They work in line with the O2 sensors, so how do they affect the bike's operation in open-loop? It might seem reasonable to think that there would be some carryover from closed- to open-loop mode, like when you roll-on the throttle and pass from one mode to the other, but since the ECM cycles many times per second I can't see how this effect would even be measurable, much less something you could feel. Please explain how this works and how the 5% figure is calculated. TIA.

Originally Posted by ocezam
I find iClicks argument pretty funny considering it is basically opposite logic to the argument he uses to support his cams. When defending his cam choice the argument is most riding is done at low throttle settings and low rpm. But his "problem" with XIED's is that they only help at low throttle settings and low rpm (relatively).
This isn't the same phenomenon at all, and isn't even close. The IED's improve part-throttle response a bit. The SE255 cams improve the low-end and mid-range considerably, and this is manifested at part-throttle and full-throttle to a much greater degree than IED's can provide. I've ridden my bike set to 13.0, 13.5, 13.8, and 14.5 (current) in the cruise range and I can tell very little difference in part-throttle response between these settings. I also have seen little difference in cooling while cruising, but mileage is affected considerably--about 6mpg between the richest and leanest AFR settings. YMMV.

His second argument for his cams is that they can be purchased for cheap used, yet he advocates an expensive tuner solution in place of cheap IED's for a stock or stage 1 bike?
As a frugal kind of guy, when I made my cam selection I bought them for the lowest cost possible for the effects that I wanted and received. When I've purchased tuners I've done so at the lowest cost possible for the features I wanted and received. All tuners I've purchased have come from FM because they sell at a deep discount and provide excellent service. There's no inconsistency here at all.

Originally Posted by WOace
Guy is WAY off track.....
Little over 1 year, 35,000 miles on 96" with XIED's only.
STAGE 1 DOWNLOAD DOES NOT CHANGE FUEL MIXTURE!!!!
Lord, I'm so misunderstood on this thread. Now did I say anywhere, in this thread or any other, that the Stage 1 download changed the AFR? I appreciate other points of view about this or any other subject, but please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Now, about the Stage 1 download: It doesn't change AFR, but it does adjust for the addition of free-flowing AC and mufflers which change the airflow characteristics of the engine. The VE values (projected airflow) will change whenever hardware alterations such as these are made so that AFR remains the same, so there are adjustments made other than timing. How much change is made and where varies considerably according to the year and model.

It only changes the timing tables. Fuel remains at 13.8:1 mixture up to about 65% throttle, then it goes full rich, 12.8:1 above and beyond that.
If you'll dyno your bike or measure Lambda (AFR) in some other way you will probably find that your AFR's are not what you may think. Just because the ECM has "12.8" shown in the 100% column of the AFR or Lambda tables doesn't mean it's actually running that mixture. Try it. What's more, the transition areas between closed- and open-loop, as well as WOT, can spike into leaner-than-optimal conditions when a stock tune is coupled with Stage 1 hardware changes.

Last edited by iclick; 04-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Sporty 66
Cruiser
Default Xieds

Have you used them??
Originally Posted by iclick
I'll try to address each comment made about my reply one by one.

I don't mind someone disagreeing with my ideas on tuners, cams, or whatever--as an intelligent and friendly debate is good for everyone. But the "other forum members" who made the claim that I trade favorable feedback for products from FM are lying. I have never "shilled" for anyone and will never do it here or anywhere else. I'm frankly disappointed that anyone would make a statement such as this without foundation or any evidence, as this is the first time I've heard it. I promote FM because I feel they do an excellent job and sell quality products. Please, let's not stoop to tabloid gossip here.

I believe I said they had a niche in the overall market, didn't I? I also tried to make it clear that I was not bashing them. Could you list the info that I provided that is wrong, as you didn't mention anything specific? Thanks in advance, as I'm here to learn.

Could you explain how this works? They work in line with the O2 sensors, so how do they affect the bike's operation in open-loop? It might seem reasonable to think that there would be some carryover from closed- to open-loop mode, like when you roll-on the throttle and pass from one mode to the other, but since the ECM cycles many times per second I can't see how this effect would even be measurable, much less something you could feel. Please explain how this works and how the 5% figure is calculated. TIA.

This isn't the same phenomenon at all, and isn't even close. The IED's improve part-throttle response a bit. The SE255 cams improve the low-end and mid-range considerably, and this is manifested at part-throttle and full-throttle to a much greater degree than IED's can provide. I've ridden my bike set to 13.0, 13.5, 13.8, and 14.5 (current) in the cruise range and I can tell very little difference in part-throttle response between these settings. I also have seen little difference in cooling while cruising, but mileage is affected considerably--about 6mpg between the richest and leanest AFR settings. YMMV.

As a frugal kind of guy, when I made my cam selection I bought them for the lowest cost possible for the effects that I wanted and received. When I've purchased tuners I've done so at the lowest cost possible for the features I wanted and received. All tuners I've purchased have come from FM because they sell at a deep discount and provide excellent service. There's no inconsistency here at all.

Lord, I'm so misunderstood on this thread. Now did I say anywhere, in this thread or any other, that the Stage 1 download changed the AFR? I appreciate other points of view about this or any other subject, but please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Now, about the Stage 1 download: It doesn't change AFR, but it does adjust for the addition of free-flowing AC and mufflers which change the airflow characteristics of the engine. The VE values (projected airflow) will change whenever hardware alterations such as these are made so that AFR remains the same, so there are adjustments made other than timing. How much change is made and where varies considerably according to the year and model.

If you'll dyno your bike or measure Lambda (AFR) in some other way you will probably find that your AFR's are not what you may think. Just because the ECM has "12.8" shown in the 100% column of the AFR or Lambda tables doesn't mean it's actually running that mixture. Try it. What's more, the transition areas between closed- and open-loop, as well as WOT, can spike into leaner-than-optimal conditions when a stock tune is coupled with Stage 1 hardware changes.

Quick Reply: Xied's Question