Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheepskin or Gel Pad

Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Neither, I have been using the HD Circulator Seat Pads. Page 354, 2012 Hd P&A catalog.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jackloganbill
What is the correct size of the Airhawk for Electra Glide Classic standard seats?

JackL

Medium 14 x 14

Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the beaded seat cover from bead rider. The wife swears by it also. It lets lots of air pass and you won't have a sweaty *** when you stop. I am not claiming it is better than any of the other ideas....just what I decided to go with and couldn't be happier. I do take them off in cold weather though.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may not believe it, but the Circulator© pad from HD works great.

Have the Alaska Leather (sheared) pads and the HD Circulator© pad, and in the summer I'll stick with the HD pad.

Winter, it's the Alaska Leather all the way, but to kick the swamp *** in the summer, I haven't been able to beat HD.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by olfatguy
All the above are good suggestions but, I found an excellent product several years ago that won't put a big dent in your wallet.

Just grab one of those beaded automotive seat covers found in many auto parts stores for a few bucks (I know, I thought the same thing when I first heard about it).

The pain comes from pressure on the same spot for extended periods of time. With the hundreds of beads in these seat covers, a small shift in any direction relieves the pressure. Air circulation is another benefit with these. In fact, if it's a cool damp morning your butt actually gets cold.

I tie mine to the tour pack and it covers both seats for $10-$15.00. Way better than $100.00+/seat for some of these other pads, some of which don't work nearly as well.

Think about it, all those New York cabbies can't be wrong.
Originally Posted by carlgrover
I bought a wooden bead seat cover from Walmart and cut it down to fit my seat. Ran a weedeater line around the perimeter to keep the beads in place. There is enough cover left over to make two motorcycle seats. Cost me about $10.

It's really comfortable.
Originally Posted by bellgnte
I use the beaded seat cover from bead rider. The wife swears by it also. It lets lots of air pass and you won't have a sweaty *** when you stop. I am not claiming it is better than any of the other ideas....just what I decided to go with and couldn't be happier. I do take them off in cold weather though.
I'm a wooden bead guy too. I picked mine up at a truck stop last summer for less than $15. No more sweaty butt. I have a comfortable seat to begin with (Mustang) and the air circulation provided by the beads makes it perfect for hot summer days.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I use the large cruiser for the driver position on the EG.
I also have a medium cruiser which I use in the driver position on my FatBoy. The medium cruiser also fits in the passenger position on the EG.

The medium cruiser would probably work in the driver position on the EG, but the large cruiser has a longer front section that seems to fit better.

Originally Posted by jackloganbill
What is the correct size of the Airhawk for Electra Glide Classic standard seats?

JackL

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
jackloganbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

JackL

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Heres my 2 cents. First, get rid of blue Jeans, buy 511 pants, they have no seams to sit on. Two, get all the stuff out of your pockets. Three, Buy a good after market saddle, I like Corbin, many don't. Four, Buy LD underwear. Five, Go on a diet, the lighter you are the lighter you sit in the saddle. Six, shake it out during gas stops, walk around the pump a little. I do all the above and have done 800 miles day. Now I am NOT going to say I wasn't hurting a little, but it was OK, 500 no problem.

Now I also have read about the sheepskins, so as I am planing a ride to Mrytle Beach in May, I ordered one from Alaskan Sheepskin, about 100 dollars, a full pelt, hair trimmed. I will post my thoughts after my trip. Be Safe JIM

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Sheepskin! I bought a full one and cut it to fit myself. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter and ALWAYS soft/comfortable on the ***.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 04-17-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+3 on HD Circulator seat pads.
My wife and I did consecutive 750 mile days from Co to Mi in hot weather. Did the trick!
I do think the determining factor though - is how close your seat fits to begin with.
As you can see there is no single standout answer. Thats because it's a very subjective issue. You'll likely end up like the rest of us - trying fixes, magic remedies, new seats, etc to try to get that elusive fit. And you'll probably be better served finding out what the discomfort is to begin with?
Too hard/soft? Too close/far? Riding positioning? Fitness? The list goes on and on.
I know guys who can do 1000 mile days with no issues on stock seats. And guys who can barely crack 300 on custom seats.
A lot goes into it.
Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sheepskin or Gel Pad