Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To much oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
aflstn95
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To much oil pressure

Just put a set of andrews cams in my 2001 Electra Glide. Everything was fine until I got on the interstate and had higher rpm's. Went 5 miles and it started blowing oil out the air cleaner. I got it home at low rpm's and it blew a little oil but nothing like the high rpm's. Can't figure what could be wrong just from changing the cams. Any ideas. Thanks

Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible you have blocked an oil way while changing the cams?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Did you replace the two oil feed o-rings in the cam chest? If one gets pinched it can block the port. Did you properly align the oil pump upon reinstall? If not it can cause issues. I'd check with those two items first. Either way, your cam chest is getting opened again.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:43 PM
aflstn95
Novice

I don't think so, I changed cams, wear shoes and used ajustable push tubes. I never removed the oil pump from the cam plate.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aflstn95
I don't think so, I changed cams, wear shoes and used ajustable push tubes. I never removed the oil pump from the cam plate.
Dawg is asking specifically about the o-rings that seal the oil pump to the crankcase.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Hmmmm.

About two weeks ago I had the S/E Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Kit installed by a very good mechanic.
All seemed well until I ran the bike at freewayspeeds for about 20 miles.
When I got to my destination I had oil dripping from the bike and all over the right side of my bike.
I drove it back to the shop where the work was done.
A couple of days later he called me to say the bike was ready.

Problem was one of the o ring seals in one of the push rod cover tubes had not seated properly.
All is fine now.

If you're oil is coming from your air cleaner the first think that I would check would be the oil level.
Could you have perhaps over filled the engine?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

If you used adjustables then you didn't disturb the top rocker boxes so you can rule out up top (the possibility of putting in a gasket the wrong way). A misaligned cam would cause it to run shitty but wouldn't puke oil so you can rule that out. That leaves the oil pump or the oil feed holes. If you didn't disturb the pump you still should align just because, but that probably isn't it. That leaves an oil feed hole blocked. If you pull the cam plate you should have changed those two little o-rings on the left side. I would open the chest and pull the plate and pump and replace the rear pump o-ring, the two oil feed hole o-rings, check the gerotors and see that they stand proud as they should, replace the front o-ring between the plate and pump (assuming you kept the stock pump and plate) and then put it all back together and align the oil pump by alternately tightening the proper screws whilst turning the rear tire.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
aflstn95
Novice

Ok I tore the bike clear down again. New o-rings and gaskets. Checked oil pump and relief vavle. Put the pump on first and left it center up, then the cam plate. When it was all back together I warmed it up and changed the oil. With it warmed up I have 30psi at idle and 44psi at 3500/4000 rpms. Going to check the gauge next, to be sure it's reading right. Out of ideas. Help!!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM
aflstn95
Novice
Default Update

I put a manual gauge on and I have 40lbs.@ cold idle, and can bury the 80lb. gauge by a quick twist of the throttle. Had relief valve apart and it was not stuck. So now what? Out of ideas.

Last edited by aflstn95; 04-17-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Did you replace the two oil feed o-rings in the cam chest? If one gets pinched it can block the port. Did you properly align the oil pump upon reinstall? If not it can cause issues. I'd check with those two items first. Either way, your cam chest is getting opened again.
I would bet this is the answer.

Quick Reply: To much oil pressure