Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Visor Style Trim Ring is a POS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
OfficerP
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok long time reader first time posting. I am a month in on my new to me 2008 road king classic. I thought I would chime in on the headlight visor trim ring. I put the visor trim rings on my directionals and passing lights with out and problem and took about 10 minutes for a complete job. Then comes the dreaded headlight ring. I read well over 100 posts of owners that had either no problems or the majority of who seemed that did. I couldn't get that damn thing flush working it over for a day and a half and with help from by buddy who does the majority of his own harley work and my father in law who is probably the most mechanically smart person I know. It just would not fit right. So I gave in and took the advise of another poster (sorry I forgot who). I took off the bezel and put 1/4 washers in and re secured. I took the original ring and launched it toward the street. I then took 3/4 inch weather stripping and wrapped it around the bezel and put the trim ring on. Walla.... tight with no gap at the bottom and no gap around the outside. I love this site and thanks for all who post which helps idiots like me figure things out.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
NVERL8
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Some bikes have issues and some dont, I dont think its the installer. I have one on mine and it fit perfectly. Put the same one on my brother in laws and we could not get it to fit right..............

Old 07-31-2014, 03:40 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
So after reading on the forum about the 10% success rate of getting the headlight trim ring to fit on my SG, I figured I'd be able to make it work.

I loosened the stock ring and tried fitting it over it and it was impossible. There is no voodoo magic that would make it fit.

Then.....I took off the stock ring and tried to fit it over it off of the bike and it was a no go.....the gap was like .5"....I could barley thread the nut and it look like ****.

Then....I tried it without the stock ring and it was too big. I had some foam window seal and that didn't work.

Then.....I realized that this thing was a POS! The ring was sooooooooo easy to to swap on my Deluxe, but this thing pissed me off more then my wife does!
The problem is you were probably cussing it the whole time. You need to talk sweet to it and convince it that going on there is a good thing. Then buy it dinner and a drink and done. Works on the ol' lady too.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had mine off and on probably 5 times to aim my LED headlamp and it goes on like nothing and fits without a gap each time. Maybe there is a difference in trim rings? I don't know, but I've seen some that look pretty bad.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I never have had a problem and have installed on 2 of my bikes. Operator error maybe ???

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
This is a case where the 10% rule definitely applies!
That's what I call a stretched out bike.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine fits like better than OJ's Glove!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
Mine fits like better than OJ's Glove!
LOL! That's funny.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya just gotta hold your mouth right............

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 AM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Its hit and miss. Mine is far from perfect, I've learned to live with it.

Using a wood clamp and a rag to protect the chrome helped.

yep. I used a clamp and mine has no gap whatsoever, looks great

Quick Reply: The Visor Style Trim Ring is a POS!