Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible XM Reception -> New Antenna -> Reception Still Poor. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Terrible XM Reception -> New Antenna -> Reception Still Poor. Suggestions?

2011 Street Glide w/HD XM module.

Tried the stock, disc-shaped antenna under the fairing, got poor reception.

Upgraded to a handlebar mounted 'probe' style antenna, just as bad.

I knew going into this that the XM reception was known to have its limitations, but this is just unbearable.

What's most puzzling, is that the reception is worse in open, rural areas, where there are no buildings or other obstructions. Is the XM coverage known to be worse in these remote areas?

Who's to blame, the antenna or the XM satellite?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I have my XM antenna mounted inside the fairing on the Harley bracket and have great reception. It even trys and sometimes gets reception in my garage. Not sure where your problem is. Sorry, not much help.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not just the antenna Xm satellite signal dead in some area ,xm is like cell phone signals . and they also play some channel same music .everyday for about 1 month, + it's getting more and more commercials . even though , they say , commercial free. stations . burn CDs or iPod. . pandora radio is the one I'm using right now . it's also free . just my 2 cents

Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by angelrod
it's not just the antenna Xm satellite signal dead in some area ,xm is like cell phone signals . and they also play some channel same music .everyday for about 1 month, + it's getting more and more commercials . even though , they say , commercial free. stations . burn CDs or iPod. . pandora radio is the one I'm using right now . it's also free . just my 2 cents
How do I get the Pandora radio?
Thanks

Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pandora is internet radio, you get it on your smartphone. But, it too has reception limitations.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had SiriusXM for 6 years and have had little reception issues. When I had XM, prior to switching to Sirius so I could package services, the only time I had a problem was when I went under a canopy of trees. Not sure what your particular issue is, but I ride with my brothers who also have satellite radios and not one of us has really had an issue in the past 6-7 years.

My thought is if you have changed antennas and still have an issue then maybe it's with the head unit itself. You might want to have that checked. Pandora isn't the answer either by the way, as it is more limited then satellite as it requires cell reception. If you spend all your time in the east you'll probably be fine, travel out west . . . good luck on that. The only reason I have seen people complain about satellite is that they are too cheap to spend the money on the satellite subscribtion. To each their own.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I put my receiver and antenna in the saddle bag and have great reception.....

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a poor quality antenna. My Garmin XM antenna is under the batwing fairing mounted on top of the radio and I can get reception in the garage.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have an XM antenna mounted inside the fairing and have great reception.

I once had an issue with an after market Sirius antenna connection to the receiver. The very small connector was not making a good connection.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check all your connections, could be as simple as that.

Quick Reply: Terrible XM Reception -> New Antenna -> Reception Still Poor. Suggestions?