Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foot clutch - hand shift ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built my own for this Bobber I built couple of years ago - It was actually a pretty easy deal - This was on a sportster - Takes some getting use to for sure but it really feels cool shifting with a hand shifter - Only place I found help was on a couple of sites in Japan - I have lost the link but will see if i can find the site that helped me the most - I had all the parts on hand - didn't have to order any parts -

Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM
SB09UC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this, sorry to here about your hand. and ride safe.
http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

a friend's mom has left hand that is deformed and she cant pull the clutch lever, so she has automatic clutch set up on her softail. its same as most utility atvs. its a pretty cool set up, not sure who makes it but she got it through her local dealer

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 115 Posts

Rekluse makes awesome auto clutches, they are the #1 brand in the offroad world and they make a clutch for Harleys.

http://www.rekluse.com/ProStart.html

Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,880 Likes on 21,305 Posts

Look like good ideas those auto clutches, for those that need them.
It would be good if someone would chime in that has one, or at least knows someone who has one.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input. In reply...

Wrist/hand cast.

I have seen the jockey shifter but, the one I saw on their website has a hand operated clutch. Though cool looking, from their video I can see that it is more awkward than a stock set up. I will do some more homework and see if they have a foot clutch.

I will do some homework on Rock-a-by foot clutch.

I had not thought about having only one foot available when coming to a stop. One would have to keep one foot on the clutch peddal, assuming one was using such a system, when he/she stopped or would need to be able to find neutral easilly, regularly, with confidence. A bike is not like a car where one simply places the shifter in a central location regardless of what gear one is in when they decide to stop.

Slammed05fatty, I had the same thought. That there must be some riders out there who do not have use of their left hand for one reason or another. That they must have figured something out.

JBrake? Pingle shift kits? Rekluse? Automatic atv clutches, Autoclutch, I will take a look at the supplied links and do a some searching.

I appreciate everyone's input. I knew that if I asked the question I would get some answers.

Thanks, again.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

You guys are getting your companies confused. The LaBriola kit has a foot clutch. the widow maker has a lever on the shifter so it would still be a hand clutch. We have a guy here at the shop that has been running a foot clutch for a long time. never seen him have issues. He explained that he slides the bike into neutral when coming to stop so both feet can still be used.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

not sure why anyone would need a kit - it was a very easy deal to build the shifter & the clutch linkage - but then again some folks have their oil changed at the dealer so I guess I understand -

Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
TRacer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Matt0987
I injured my left hand in January.

It appears that I may be in a cast for several more months and may not have sufficient strength to work the clutch handle for, perhaps a year or so from now. If ever.

As such I have not been riding since the accident and I am wondering if there is a system, parts, stuff, to make my RKC into a foot clutch/hand shift.

Anyone know of such a set up? Or, what parts I would need to make a set up such as this?
Matt, I was in the same boat as you.

The "rock-a-bye" clutch rkoivisto is referring to is called a rocker clutch which were used on the old UL/WL/FLs. It operates using a "toe to go / heel to stop" logic where you can heel the pedal past center, and a friction disk on the backside will hold the pedal in place. To take off, you push down the front of the pedal with your toe, and the pedal rotates counter-clockwise. Here is an example:

These can be purchased as reproductions, though I would go for a factory unit which can be found on eBay (type "rocker clutch" into the search box in eBay Motors.)

The other option is a car-style clutch pedal, which in my mind reminds me of an old VW pedal where the pivot point is at the bottom; this is what LA Jockey (Rick LaBriola) sells in the website mentioned previously. Here is what I run:

Shifters can be jockey (under the leg) or some variation of a tank/frame mounted police shifter or hand shifter mounted directly to the trans. If it were me with an RKC, I would look into one of these:

...which are available at:

http://www.debrix.com/Police-Style-J...22-0712-vt.htm

I run one of these as well on my Sporty, but pieced one together from various sources before I realized they came in a kit. As you can see, the shift pattern will be reversed.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Foot clutch - hand shift ???