Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Master cylinder rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
bamfjeff
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Master cylinder rebuild

Has any one attempted rebuilding the front master cylinder? i was checking fluids and noticed that the brake fluid was milky. And the lever is not coming back to make contact with the brake light switch. corrosin on the brake piston in the master cylinder. how do you flush out old fluid and get brakes back to full operation again?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You may be able to correct the lack of contact with the light switch be removing the lever and lubricating the pivot. A squirt of WD40 will confirm if it is sticking, although not a long-term solution.

Changing the brake fluid is a simple flushing process, until all the old fluid has been replaced. There are tips in the DIY forum on bleeding. Harley makes a rebuild kit for the MC if you need one. It probably comes with instructions.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently rebuilt mine. The rebuild kit does come with instructions and they are also in the manual. It is a reasonably easy job. Make sure you clean all of the reused parts well and the hole that the piston goes through. If your bike has DOT 5 fluid (Silicone based) you don't have to worry about it too much but if it is DOT 4 fluid make damn sure you don't get it on any painted surfaces.