Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Tuner vs Thundermaxx vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
ciq01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tuner vs Thundermaxx vs ???

Hey guys, I have a super tuner on my road king. I just bought a new Road Glide and have added pipe, intake and cams. It's my understanding that I can't use my RK super tuner for my new RG? Why? And if I have to get a new one, is the super tuner better than Thundermaxx or others like it?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The super tuner is locked the the ECM and cannot be used on another bike.

As for which to get they all are decent. Depends on personal preference.

Originally Posted by ciq01
Hey guys, I have a super tuner on my road king. I just bought a new Road Glide and have added pipe, intake and cams. It's my understanding that I can't use my RK super tuner for my new RG? Why? And if I have to get a new one, is the super tuner better than Thundermaxx or others like it?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM
pavin
Tourer

Like airborne mentioned, the super tuner is married to the bike. I think there are a lot of good tuners out there, I went with the super tuner just to keep things cleaner under me.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
The Nev
Cruiser

Just food for thought but two years ago I was having trouble with my bike at Sturgis. I have a 2006 Ultra with 95" quite a bit of work and a T-Max. I took it all over and everyone said the same thing quote "I don't speak Thunder Max" there was one little shop in Sundance WY that did speak Tmax I waited there all day and they couldn't get me in. When I got home I went to a Super Tuner cause all Harley shop speak Harley. True story just a thought.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

SEPST is a flash tuner as is TTS and Power Vision they all do about the same end result. It's really about which you or your tuner has experience with. The thunder max is a whole different ECM and is self tuning if I understand it correctly. Thunder max is also almost twice the cost.

I've used the older SERT and had good luck with it am
Nd it is true any dealer has at least some knowledge of it. I'm currently using a Power Vision and for my novice experience I find it easy to use and it has the ability to data log and allow the user to self tune. The Power Vision and the TTS can be used on more than 1 bike by buying additional licenses

If your interested in the Power Vision call Jamie at Fuel Moto for a lot more info

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on my second Thundermax, I happen to like it a lot. As mentioned the TMax is a whole unit, it doesn't piggy back on the stock ECM, its really easy to tune, and automatically adjust. I've never had a problem with costumer service, but, you have to shop around and find what suits you.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 PM
jezekia
2nd Gear

I had the Vancen Hines tuner with there complete exhaust on one bike installed in October at Biketoberfest and stepped up to the Thunder Max in March due to issues with popping under deceleration.I liked it so much did my other bike as well. The bike runs smoother at 2000 rpm which you will see immediately and runs cooler as idle seems to be at 950. Both my bikes are CVO 110's so heat seems to be an issue.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Ganno57
Tourer

Originally Posted by The Nev
When I got home I went to a Super Tuner cause all Harley shop speak Harley.
AMEN!!! Same reason I went with the Harley product.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the T-Max. With the Super Tuner your tied to Harley for everything.

The reason for the T-Max is because it auto tunes and if there's any issue, you can hook up to a PC and work the issue out. If you can't you send the map to Zipper and sort the problem out.

Last edited by ramnj; 04-20-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T max here as well.
Can't believe the difference. and no more Dyno time from Harley, no dead spots, way more responsive than the SERT, well worth the extra money which you can make up anytime you change something as it will adjust for you, saving a retune on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Super Tuner vs Thundermaxx vs ???