Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 New Street Glide question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
mituw16
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 New Street Glide question

Hello everyone,

I used to ride a 2000 Road King, but upgraded about a week and half ago to a 2012 Street Glide.

I noticed that there is a small, maybe half centimeter or less gap beween the outer, windshield, and inner fairings on part of it. My question is, is that normal? Should I be worried about it?

I took it back to my local stealership, and they gave me "It's might just be the nature of the beast" line. Needless to say, I am not happy about this. I'm thinking of going back and demanding that they fixed it, since this bike is literally less than 2 weeks old, to me, but wanted to be sure before I went in pitching a fit...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If I understand your description correctly, that sounds like a major potential for water getting into the electrical components inside the fairing. I would make a stink over it if that's the case.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
tacoma5432
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was same way.... I put the 3 pouch bag up there n off i went. Didnt worry me any.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM
mituw16
2nd Gear

Hmm.. That's what I'm afraid of... I can't imagine rain getting down there being good at all. The gap is really only on the inside between the inner fairing and then windshield, the outer fairing and the windshield are pretty much tight. I guess I'm going back down to my stealership tomorrow...not looking forward to that all.

Thanks for the advice!

PS. Tacoma, after you put the bags on it, do you ride in the rain? I don't often, but I do enough that it could become a problem

Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

before you pitch a bitch.... go to the dealership, look at the bikes they have on the floor. if they all look like yours, drink a cup of coffee, shoot the ****, and then go ride some. if they don't, then ask that they fix yours.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Ronisonce
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by skratch
before you pitch a bitch.... go to the dealership, look at the bikes they have on the floor. if they all look like yours, drink a cup of coffee, shoot the ****, and then go ride some. if they don't, then ask that they fix yours.
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
meyhem
Advanced

+1
Good luck

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Bo Joe
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 AM
mituw16
2nd Gear

Thanks guys, I'm heading out there after work today to take a look around. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I would loosen the 3 windshield screws and realign the windshield to make sure it is centered on the 3 posts correctly. Mine was not when new and was caught on the edge of one of the posts pushing the shield out toward the outer fairing creating a gap between the shield and inner. The shield eventually cracked. When I pulled the inner fairing I noticed that one of the posts was mushroomed from the shield not being centered correctly initially. I ended up filing the post down and sanding it smooth again. Now all is well!

Worth a try?

Quick Reply: 2012 New Street Glide question