Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:08 PM
PriestFan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brake Lights

Let me apologize in-advance for a long winded post. I installed the Kuyakyn Bullet Light Rear Turn Signal Bar/Curved License Plate Frame on my 2003 FLHT. I'm not a very good shade-tree mechanic, but did it myself. When I had everything connected, I tested it before I bolted everything up. All lights were working perfectly. I also have rear spoiler lights on my saddlebags and the Harley Aux. Brake Light-Turn Signal adapter. When I bolted everything back up, I tested the lights again, and my right rear turn signal wasn't working. I unbolted the rear brake light and unplugged and replugged all the lights back in. Now, the right rear turn signal was working, but my rear brake light was not working, nor was brake light working on the turn signals or spoiler lights. Both rear turn signals work, running lights work on spoiler lights, fender light is working, and rear brake light running light is working, I just don't have any brake lights. A buddy with experience in electronics spent the week end using his voltage meter and the H-D service manual checking everything from the brake light relay to the rear brake light bulb. First thing he found was when I soldered the new plugs for the left and right turn signals, I didn't wrap them separate, I wrapped them together. He changed those around to how they should have been to start with, and then he checked everything. He also checked the system with the Aux. Brake/Turn Signal kit hooked up, and with it back to stock. Both was checked out OK. All voltages and plugs checked out OK. He was puzzled by 2 things:

(1.) With the brake light bulb unplugged from the rear fender assembly, I believe he was able to make the brake lights come on on the spoiler lights and turn signals by touching the red and black leads from his voltage meter to the brake light plug(red wire w/light colored stripe)and ground plug(black wire)in the rear fender assembly.

(2.) When he checked the voltage on the rear brake light relay, he got a reading of 6 volts in and 6 volts out. He wasn't sure if that was right or not.

Not knowing a lot about electronics, I hope I've explained this well enough you can understand.LOL Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone has a very Happy and Healthy New Year, B.J.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:00 PM
PriestFan
Road Captain
Default RE: No Brake Lights

bump

Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 AM
PriestFan
Road Captain

bump

Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like you are having some problems with the HD Aux Brake light turn signal adapter. I remember when I hook mineupon my Road King the instructions said something about wiring it up different if youhave extra lights that come on when you apply the Brake. I think there is a switch on on the HD Aux Brake light turn signal adapert, or it has some kinda (Buse) plug in fuse that came with it that is used for extra lights.
You might want to look at that. Let us know what you find, Good luck.....

Old 01-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna go with 04RoadKing on this one. The Aux turn signal adapter should have a maximum amperage that it will function with. If I counted right, you are now trying to pump 5 different lights through the turn signal adapter, three of which are not Harley parts. What is the amperage draw of the Kuryakyn lights as compared to stock Harley parts? Kury should be able to answer that question. If they draw more amps, you may have exceeded the max amps that the adapter can handle.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer

If you are using the Kuryakyn LED bullets they should be less draw than stock. I know that the spoiler is LED's to if I am not mistaken. Shouldnt be anymore draw on the system. If you are not using the LED conversion in the turn signals there is a possabilty of the over draw that Phrogman is talking about.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
MichFLHT
1st Gear

Well, guess I should put my 2 cents in as well. I have the HD adapter installed to make my rear turn signals brake lights as well as function as signals. I have no added lights at all. On a recent trip my brake lights stuck on and I could not get them off. Funny thing is, only the signals were on as brake lights but the fender mounted light was on in running light mode. I was told that the rear brake pressure switch was bad. I tested it by tapping it when the lights were on and they went off but as soon as I pressed on the rear pedal, they were stuck again. I replaced the switch and that fixed the sticking problem but I still have no brake light on the fender brake. I then replaced the brake relay in the fuse box. Still the same. I unplugged the adapter to return the lights to stock and still, no brake light on the fender. I even went as far as to check the wiring in the fender to ensure none of them were frayed or shorting out. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM
PriestFan
Road Captain

MichFLHT, sorry to hear about your problem. Mind turned out that I had shorted out a wire and blew a fuse.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I even went as far as to check the wiring in the fender to ensure none of them were frayed or shorting out. Anyone got any ideas?
Brake side of the bulb burnt out????

Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 AM
MichFLHT
1st Gear

I have even checked all the darn fuses. I am completely dumbfounded by this one. I really hate to have to take it to the dealer and spend $$ and then find out it was something really stupid/simple that I missed. If there is anyone out there that might have any suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: No Brake Lights