Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse box location/Wiring Diagram

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
dlatham22
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse box location/Wiring Diagram

Hi,
I am new to this and hoping i am doing this right. I dont have a harley but am helping a friend out with his. He has a 1999 Road King Classic. He upgraded the front head lights/driving lights to halogen. He bought them from the local Harley dealer with all the proper housings, and adaptor harnesses. He went out for a test ride and when he returned he noticed against the wall of his shop that the driving lights/headlights, and tail lights aren't working. Turn signals (front and back) are still funtional. We believe this is a fuse problem (again im new to harley's). Please correct me if im wrong or what else it could be. Aswell if you have a good place to find a wiring diagram please tell me for future refrence. Last question, where is the location for the headlight, driving lights, and tail light fuse?
Thank you,

David

Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best place for a wiring diagram is the Service manual. I would check the lighting fuse under the left side panel.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

2.) the lighting package runs through the ign. switch.

increasing the watt rating of the bulbs, increases the current through the switch and can burn it up- don't put in too high a wattage bulb.

35 w in the passing lights is about max and the 55/60 headlight bulb.

the service manual wiring diagrams are very comprehensive, and a manual is a must for what you are doing, esp. if this is more than just a popped fuse.

a.) examine the fuse, a fuse in the which the material has sagged and parted indicates an overload.
a fuse which looks burnt and the material has spattered, indicates a short circuit.

They manuals are year- specific as just enough changes year to year to bite you in the a$$.

some of the popular online dealers sell at 20% off, or check the forum classifieds.

don't bother with the ebay "download" rip-offs.

mike