Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine / Battery Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM
HEEP
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine / Battery Light

Today, when I pulled in the garage, i noticed the check engine and battery light showing on the gauge. I just passed my 1000 mile mark yesterday by about 30miles. So I guess I'm going to the stealership tomorrow for the first service and the second warranty issue.
Any thought on the enigine light coming on because I am passed the 100 mile mark?
Thanks in advance,
HEEP

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by HEEP
Any thought on the engine light coming on because I am passed the 100 mile mark?
Check the battery terminals for tight connections, etc. Can also pull the codes. Trust me, it's not because you went over the 1k mark without service.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
HEEP
Intermediate

Dawg,
that's what I figured on the mileage. I guess I'll see what they say tomorrow, but I'll check the connections before I head out.

HEEP

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
chainsaw123
Tourer

I have the EXACT same issue. I have 1,176 miles on mine and it did it this past sunday. I was told there was a batch of bikes with faulty voltage regulators. Taking mine in this sat and they said they will fix it while I wait. I sure hope thats the problem.

I already checked my terminals and both were tight as could be.

good luck with yours.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
HAWGMAN
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Engine/battery light

I have a 2007 FLHTC and the same thing happened at the start of the season. Sometimes it would come on and the volt meter would drop from the 2:30 clock position down to the 12 O'clock position. If I let the bike cool off sometimes it went off. I took it to my mechanic and we replaced the voltage regulator and the problem went away until two weeks ago when I was on a solo road trip thru Arkansas. When it came on I pulled into the Days Inn for the night and it did not come back on when I started it the next morning. As I rode to get some grub it came back on so I went to the local Harley shop in Conway Arkansas called "Toad Suck" Harley Davidson. It cooled off while I was explaining the issue to the service rep and when we started it the light was off. They took in in the shop and checked all the connections and they all tested O.K..(They took me in right away, checked my bike out and did not charge me anything for the service---THANK's Toad Suck Harley Davidson, Conway AR.!!!)
I rode from Conway AR. back to Mountain View where my truck and trailer was and it came back on.
When I got back home I took it to the mechanic and the voltage regulator tested good then it droped back down to the 12 O'clock position on the gauge.
We replaced the regulator with a new one and the problem has not reappeared during the 75 miles that I have rode since the replacement.
The responder to the original question has given some great advice on many questions from FORUM members and I am looking forward to see what he thinks my issue was.
Thanks for helping out alot of FORUM members with your knowledge, Happy Trail's

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
HEEP
Intermediate

So, I cranked it up this morning, no check engine or battery light. does the computer store codes so that when I take it in today, they will see that it has been tripped? After reading the replies here and doing a little research, heat is a factor. Today will be a hot one, so maybe on the ride home it will come back on.

HEEP

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HEEP
So, I cranked it up this morning, no check engine or battery light. does the computer store codes so that when I take it in today, they will see that it has been tripped? After reading the replies here and doing a little research, heat is a factor. Today will be a hot one, so maybe on the ride home it will come back on.

HEEP
Yes Computer will store codes. I believe it stores the codes until you have 50 starts with no issues.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
chainsaw123
Tourer

If it is a voltage regulator, you are running the bike off of your battery power. as it drains as I think mine is that issue, my bike started popping/backfiring a little bit on decel and at gear shifts. I did not have a long way to go and made it home but after sitting a few minutes when restarted, the battery and engine lights were not on. I am sure after a short ride they would come back on.

My local dealer said they will check it out and repair while I wait. They usually have a week or so backlog and especially since I did not buy my bike from them I think that is pretty awsome service to offer to do that!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 PM
tewlmannnn
Stage II
Default Havin same issue.....with an added twist...

I stumbled across you guys with same issue I jus had happen to me.....'07 FLHR...check engine & batt light came on as I was mergin onto the freeway.....felt/sounded funny....but nothing horrible or catastrophic ...jus odd was all.....I have have 17,000 and change on the odometer ....not lookin at it right now but wanna say jus below 18,000......now for my added twist......I have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge and when the problem occurred, I looked down to see pressure jus above 0.......wasn't far from home so basically limped/babied it back home...(took my chances)....It is the original batt and reg after reading this post that now is something I will look at....Ironically I do have a brand new batt I was gonna put in only cuz of the fact of it bein original and age....I jus don't know what the oil pressure issue would be combined with this....unless completely unrelated.....any other help, follow up, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tewlmannnn
I stumbled across you guys with same issue I jus had happen to me.....'07 FLHR...check engine & batt light came on as I was mergin onto the freeway.....felt/sounded funny....but nothing horrible or catastrophic ...jus odd was all.....I have have 17,000 and change on the odometer ....not lookin at it right now but wanna say jus below 18,000......now for my added twist......I have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge and when the problem occurred, I looked down to see pressure jus above 0.......wasn't far from home so basically limped/babied it back home...(took my chances)....It is the original batt and reg after reading this post that now is something I will look at....Ironically I do have a brand new batt I was gonna put in only cuz of the fact of it bein original and age....I jus don't know what the oil pressure issue would be combined with this....unless completely unrelated.....any other help, follow up, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Just happened to me a couple weeks ago. It's your voltage regulator.

The following users liked this post:
klc997 (05-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Check Engine / Battery Light