Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PYO Monkey Bars: Soooooo pissed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's a chrome tape product I've used you can get at Autozone. It may work provided grips aren't so tight that it messes it up.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=87666_0_0_

Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

careful on the thickness of paint, I have the same grips and on the 1st set of bars I had (wild1 577's, I painted the ends (not finished like your PY's) and had to sand down the paint as the fit on the throttle was too tight. Got a set of BR Customs (great bars) and they were PC down to the ends, perfect fit after I sanded down the inside of the grips a tiny bit. Point is, there is a pretty close tolerance between the bars and grips, PY and others cant take into consideration every grip... Good luck with the wire job, be patient, very patient and then take some more time. I have done that job 4 times and swear each time will be my last

Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
On the TBW side it doesn't make any difference anyway. The plastic piece covers the bar. This is weird mine were fully chrome but that was a couple of years ago.
Dave, you can't see much more than a quarter inch of plastic at the very end of the bars through the holes in the grips. Even that can only be seen dependent on the position of the throttle. I still wish I couldn't see it at all but haven't yet figured out how to fix it. Maybe I can paint the plastic chrome but I'd be afraid of affecting operation. I'd have to take the TBW apart to paint I guess.

Originally Posted by hog95023
Do the grips that you are using fit the bars properly. I went iwth Avon grips and they were too short. left a gap. I ended up using HD grips and they worked fine. When I called pyo they said the bars are made to HD specs, makes sense. Its a shame that the bars are not all chrome. I wounder if they Black out the entire bar on the Black bars or stock where the bar is stepped down.

seems like lots of companies are taking short cuts
Funny you should ask that. On the throttle side there is a quarter of an inch between the perch and the step. Thought I saw something for that in a catalog somewhere. Since they'll be sending me new bars I'll ask them to fix that. Saying they are made to Harley specs is funny b/c when I put these grips on my stock bars last year everything mounted up at exactly the same spot. I could tell from a ring of dirt that my switches went exactly back at the same spot.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Here is a picture of the left side with the Avon grips. I dont have one of the right side.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
gordo24fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powder coating is cheap and they make a chrome color that looks sweet, is thinner than painting and is extremely durable. It may be a pain at first to wait another couple of day, but if you are sold on the bars it's another option that will last.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

ok here's an innovative idea. You want it shiny under the grips, go to Pep Boys or similar store and get a small roll of aluminum tape they use in body work. It's cheap. It's tough but thin, cut a piece and wrap it around the bar end, you will have smooth shiny stuff showing thru.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont half *** it. Make Yaffe step up. And while your at it, tell him you want a partial refund for having to wait so long and deal with so much B.S. for his overpriced bars.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
eversole61
2nd Gear

Send those mo' fo' s back and demand some compensation.... do it the way you intended or each time you sit on that beast you'll always think about what "it wouldve looked like..."

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
eversole61
2nd Gear

Haha... tell yaffe that you'll decide to go with other yaftermarket parts...

Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
eversole61
2nd Gear

Hog95203, what size yaffes are those?.. 10" ... 12"?..

Quick Reply: PYO Monkey Bars: Soooooo pissed!!!