Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Hang Around
Arrow 84 Electra Glide restore

Trying to get an 84 electra glide restored. I am down to guages. All the guages oil press,temp, ect in the faring are unhooked. I dont even see the harness. Removed it today and still nothing. All I see in there are the headlight wiring. This is my first restore . It was all fun till now..lol My question is. where does the wire harness that all these wires are in hide at? If I knew the location of the sensors like the temp and oil I guess I could just run new wires to these couldnt I? If I could just get the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge working I'd be happy for now. where is the oil and temp sensors located? any one have a wiring diagram ? I know I should buy a manual buy my closest dealer is over an hour away. but I plan on buying one soon. LET THE NEWBIE BASHING BEGIN!!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Extreme HDF Member

I think the oil pressure on that model is an actual tube, connected at the top of the oil pump housing.
The tube carried oil under pressure to the gauge, it should have a fitting on the back

Is this a shovel or evo? 1984.5 marked the intro of the evo with some carry over of shovels.

temp ? '84 ? I don't think that would be original to the bike

welcome to the forums

Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Extreme HDF Member

another double post- hd forums needs to streamline some code.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-06-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Club Member

Pics, we want pics!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Club Member

Some pics would be useful. Is this bike a shovel or evo? If the batwing is similar to current bikes (I know the style has changed, but the construction is similar) the wiring lives inside the batwing. If you have none that suggests the mice have had it , or it has been removed. It may even be that the bike didn't originally have those instruments and the batwing is not original.

So many questions, so little time.....

Welcome to HDF from the UK.
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM
One Of The Regulars

Yeah i'm gonna say that the only way we'll allow you to post this under touring and not classic is if you post pics!

2010 FLHP 103"
With some less than factory **** on it
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Hang Around

If I'm in the wrong forum I'll repost elsewhere...
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Hang Around

I have figured most of my earlier questions out. It is an EVO motor..late 84. I still havent found a wire harness for the gauges..may not be stock. I have it ready for a test ride this weekend..wish me luck..lol Been trying to seal up pushrod tube leaks...bad o rings..its all coming together.. thanks for the help! I have a couple pics of the bike the day I picked it up on here in my garage..dont know how to get them here but I'll figure it out..
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Prospect

I did not think they made a EVO FLH in 1984. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. FLH had no inner faring. Speedo on the tank. You sure it is a 1984? Maybe a FLT? Maybe something pieced togehter or retro fitted. Something does not seem right.

I have a 84 manual, but I don't think it is going to help you. On a 1984 FLH(Electra Glide) most of the wiring is located in the headlight nacelle.

I looked at your picture. I'm still not sure. I'm guessing FLT or it is not a 1984, but later model. Does it have a 5 speed transmission?

Edit Again, I think I am wrong. Might have been a FLH and FLHT in 84. FLHT Electra Glide with a Frame Mounted Batwing on a FLT Frame with 5 speed transmission and rubber mounted engine. 84 FLH ElectraGlide would have been a Shovelhead with a 4 speed transmission. I guess they were both called Elctra Glides. Still not 100% sure of this.
1984 FLHS (One of 500 Made) (One of 250 Black)
1978 FXE Stroker (Project)

Last edited by Jonas; 05-17-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I did not think they made a EVO FLH in 1984. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. FLH had no inner faring. Speedo on the tank. You sure it is a 1984? Maybe a FLT? Maybe something pieced togehter or retro fitted. Something does not seem right.

Edit Again, I think I am wrong. Might have been a FLH and FLHT in 84. FLHT Electra Glide with a Frame Mounted Batwing on a FLT Frame with 5 speed transmission and rubber mounted engine. 84 FLH ElectraGlide would have been a Shovelhead with a 4 speed transmission. I guess they were both called Elctra Glides. Still not 100% sure of this.
Other than the base FLH, all 1984 FL's were EVO and a five-speed tranny.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM

P