Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle / Low RPM Knock in Rear Jug - 2012 FLTRU

Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
moderndaydrifter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Idle / Low RPM Knock in Rear Jug - 2012 FLTRU

Maybe someone can give me some ideas on what the hell this knock is that I feel coming from what I believe to be my rear cylinder.

Here's the particulars of the bike / trip:

Bike:

2012 FLTRU, 103ci, Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C, Cobra Fi2000 Autotuner, Vance and Hines Power Duals, Vance and Hines Blackoutrounds slip-ons. Rest stock config. It has 2,400 miles on it.

Oils: Amsoil 20w-50 in Engine / Primary. Amsoil 75w-90 in Transmission

Ride:

Rode to Vancouver, BC yesterday. Temprature was 55-60 deg. Rode for about an hour and half to the border where there was a 30 min border wait, idled for about 10 min and pushed it the rest of way to the booth as I didn't want to over heat the bike.

Rode open road for about another 30-45 min until we got into downtown Vancouver. Lights and traffic had us at a stop and go pace for approximately 60 min. Temp was still 55-60 deg. Oil pressure in Vancouver cycled from 15 at idle to 32-35 on open road. At one light it sounded like the EITMS kicked in and thats when things started to go down hill. It was after this that it developed the "knock" at idle / low rpms. Its more of a knock felt in the saddle / the passanger floor boards because the wife said she felt "something strange". Well we stopped by Trev Deely's and then headed out to Langley, BC Harley.

I thought it might just be a little too hot and decided a nice long trip on the highway might do it good (noticed nothing out of the normal on way there). When we got there the low idle knock had become more pronounced, so I checked the oil and it was how 20w-50 oil should feel, it was full oil tank, golden brown color. We stayed there for about 10 min and decided to go to Chilliwack Harley which is about 30-40 min away. When we were getting on the freeway it had remarkable performance drop, it seemed very sluggish to come up to speed in third gear and I was laying on the throttle pretty hard.

Once we got to Chilliwack we stayed for about 20 min and fired back up to head back to the states, it seemed like the knock was not present when we idled at the dealership so I thought maybe something had corrected itself. Sat at border for 15 min coming back and cut the bike the entire time. Rode back on a twisty road and didn't notice any performance problems. When we stopped for gas 20 miles from home the knock was again present at about 900-1000 rpm, once above 1200 rpm it is not noticible. My wife thinks she can hear it, but I can only feel it. Any suggestions?

Here are my thoughts:
Cobra Fi2000 dumped fuel into the rear cylinder when EITMS kicked in throwing off the fuel to air ratio

Could have effected timing?

Could be something with engine itself?

Possibly tranny?

Hell I don't know maybe it just didn't like Canada! Any theories are welcome. Thanks!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Check to be sure your exhaust is not contacting the frame somewhere...If it is that would explain the vibration that you are feeling...I have seen them incorrectly installed causing all kinds of vibrations and noises.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Try some " Pepto-Bismo"...or anotherwords Red Line Heavy Shockproof oil in your tranny.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

if you are one of the riders who is cool with riding at 55 mph in 6th gear, you may now be seeing how the bottom end doesn't like to be loaded like that.
Lugging the motor destroys the bottom end.
These motors make power from 2800 to 4000 rpm.

If you like to keep the motor in the power band, then that likely is not related to your concern and you may want to try getting rid of the tuner to see if that fixes it.

as for the tuner/eitms.

the eitms turns off the rear injector and the cylinder cycles air to cool the motor internals- so there would be no fuel going to that cylinder.

Cadillac first used this on the Northstar and it is a great concept. For those who don't like it- it only can come on while idling and near standing still- it can be disabled.

Were you stopping at dealers for shirts or to see about the bike? Couldn't Deeley address your concern ?

mike

Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM
moderndaydrifter
Intermediate
Red face The Culprit

Well after an intensive troubleshooting ride (down to the local Lowes) I tried to isolate where the rattle was coming from. In the parking lot it reared its ugly head! Come to find out the rat bastard mechanic who last worked on the exhaust (namely myself) had incorrectly installed the right rubber slip on muffler mount under the saddle bag, which I am guessing shook free after 3+ weeks of riding. So yeah, the right slip on was rattling around! As for the performance issue, I am chalking that up to either I am too used to the exceleration of my '04 Dyna with 95ci, Gear Cams, Ported Heads, Super G Carb with Thunder Jet or I was in too high of a gear for the on ramp. Though I have noticed the get up and go isn't what I had anticipated, but then again my buddy says, God Damn It man, this bike weighs 200 more lbs then your Wide Glide!

Well we can chalk this one up to me being a dumas!

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the help!

Oh and yeah I was just riding around collecting Dealer swag, mainly stickers for the tool box, now that my walk in closet is full of shirts.....

Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by moderndaydrifter
Well after an intensive troubleshooting ride (down to the local Lowes) I tried to isolate where the rattle was coming from. In the parking lot it reared its ugly head! Come to find out the rat bastard mechanic who last worked on the exhaust (namely myself) had incorrectly installed the right rubber slip on muffler mount under the saddle bag, which I am guessing shook free after 3+ weeks of riding. So yeah, the right slip on was rattling around! As for the performance issue, I am chalking that up to either I am too used to the exceleration of my '04 Dyna with 95ci, Gear Cams, Ported Heads, Super G Carb with Thunder Jet or I was in too high of a gear for the on ramp. Though I have noticed the get up and go isn't what I had anticipated, but then again my buddy says, God Damn It man, this bike weighs 200 more lbs then your Wide Glide!

Well we can chalk this one up to me being a dumas!

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the help!

Oh and yeah I was just riding around collecting Dealer swag, mainly stickers for the tool box, now that my walk in closet is full of shirts.....
Just an FYI;
Those rubber idolaters are known to work themselves out on the new bikes.
The new clean rubber kind of grabs onto the straps that is supposed to slide on.
Might want to recheck it later, it will probably happen again. If it does, a little lube on that area has worked for me.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
moderndaydrifter
Intermediate
Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by journeyman
Just an FYI;
Those rubber idolaters are known to work themselves out on the new bikes.
The new clean rubber kind of grabs onto the straps that is supposed to slide on.
Might want to recheck it later, it will probably happen again. If it does, a little lube on that area has worked for me.
Journeyman,

Much thanks for the heads up! Guess I will put this on my pre-ride check list!