Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 ci Spanked 103 ci

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Engines are nothing more than an air pump. The one that pumps the most air in a given amount of time, makes more power. That's it really. A stage 1 will help immensely. Flow more air in and out and allow that motor to rev to 6250. (again, just more air going through the pump)
That is very true!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsims002
Why the obsession with HP and speed on a touring rig?

I'm in absolutely no hurry at all on mine.

Now this one is a different story:

Its because we enjoy riding the touring bikes. When they are allowed to do what they are capable of doing they are so much more fun to ride. The stock from the showroom HD motor is a slug! No matter what CI it is. Allow it to pull air in, (breather) get the exhaust out properly, (head pipe & mufflers) allow the heads to do what they are capable of doing, (proper cam selection) and a good fuel management tune (TTS Mastertune) and what was once a boring, wont get out of its own way ride will now spank any stock off the showroom 110CI motor. Thats what its all about. Just because its a touring bike dont mean it cant be fun to ride. Just sayin,,,lol

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

The 2012 103" I rode would not touch my 88" (203's carb'd w/TH)
Not even in the same catagory.

Now . . . on the other hand. At last years Flag Day Run, one of the Road Cptn's (a gal) had a 103" Roadking. A fairly new one, Screamin Eagle heads, a TH etc etc.
She SHOT away from me. It was like watching the Millenium Falcon take off in Hyper Drive. It was like I had pedals. Rather embarassing actually. Ha ha, but what ever. It was a "I have GOT TA get me one of those" moments.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM
jsims002
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
Its because we enjoy riding the touring bikes. When they are allowed to do what they are capable of doing they are so much more fun to ride. The stock from the showroom HD motor is a slug! No matter what CI it is. Allow it to pull air in, (breather) get the exhaust out properly, (head pipe & mufflers) allow the heads to do what they are capable of doing, (proper cam selection) and a good fuel management tune (TTS Mastertune) and what was once a boring, wont get out of its own way ride will now spank any stock off the showroom 110CI motor. Thats what its all about. Just because its a touring bike dont mean it cant be fun to ride. Just sayin,,,lol
Hmmmm... I have one too, I think it serves it's purpose; more fun to me because it's slower and comfortable. Plus every bike on the road doesn't feel the need to challenge me.

Name:  e2719b1a.jpg
Views: 5557
Size:  400.7 KB

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by twistr
Something has to be said about gearing too...makes a difference, especially if the tune on the 88" is good.
Well said it makes a big difference

Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer

deleted

Last edited by MichiganRider; 05-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
TheArchitect
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is America, we stripped the fenders off our bicycles when we were kids to see if they'd go faster (and to get that cool chopped look), when we turned 15 we flipped the air cleaner lids upside down on the family car so we could hear that whooshing sound from the 4 barrel (and maybe make it a little faster too) and our parents wondered why they started going through tires so much faster when we got our licenses, when we finally got our own cars we put cams, intakes, bigger carbs, glass packs and 60 series polyglas tires on them (didn't matter whether the car was a Camaro or Grand Prix). This is the country that sells supercharger kits for Honda Trail 50's and Go Karts! If it's got a motor then we try to make it faster, it's just the way things are A Street Glide weighs around 850 pounds, if you can pump it up to say 110 horsepower then you're looking at the same power-to-weight ratio as a supercharged Shelby. And you've still got reliability, 40+ MPG, and touring capabilities. My question is who WOULDN'T want that?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by thearchitect
this is america, we stripped the fenders off our bicycles when we were kids to see if they'd go faster (and to get that cool chopped look), when we turned 15 we flipped the air cleaner lids upside down on the family car so we could hear that whooshing sound from the 4 barrel (and maybe make it a little faster too) and our parents wondered why they started going through tires so much faster when we got our licenses, when we finally got our own cars we put cams, intakes, bigger carbs, glass packs and 60 series polyglas tires on them (didn't matter whether the car was a camaro or grand prix). This is the country that sells supercharger kits for honda trail 50's and go karts! If it's got a motor then we try to make it faster, it's just the way things are a street glide weighs around 850 pounds, if you can pump it up to say 110 horsepower then you're looking at the same power-to-weight ratio as a supercharged shelby. And you've still got reliability, 40+ mpg, and touring capabilities. My question is who wouldn't want that?
+1000

I was going to say something, but you covered it all.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 AM
jsims002
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TheArchitect
This is America, we stripped the fenders off our bicycles when we were kids to see if they'd go faster (and to get that cool chopped look), when we turned 15 we flipped the air cleaner lids upside down on the family car so we could hear that whooshing sound from the 4 barrel (and maybe make it a little faster too) and our parents wondered why they started going through tires so much faster when we got our licenses, when we finally got our own cars we put cams, intakes, bigger carbs, glass packs and 60 series polyglas tires on them (didn't matter whether the car was a Camaro or Grand Prix). This is the country that sells supercharger kits for Honda Trail 50's and Go Karts! If it's got a motor then we try to make it faster, it's just the way things are A Street Glide weighs around 850 pounds, if you can pump it up to say 110 horsepower then you're looking at the same power-to-weight ratio as a supercharged Shelby. And you've still got reliability, 40+ MPG, and touring capabilities. My question is who WOULDN'T want that?
Originally Posted by boogaloodude
+1000

I was going to say something, but you covered it all.
I agree with you folks, but why "boost" the motor home? Seems the same as putting those blingy low profile tires on a 4x4 truck.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in absolutely no hurry at all on mine.

Now this one is a different story:

Because here on the forum, and out "n" about I see Sooooooo many peeps go spend huge cake on "the newest baddest *** bagger made yet" and out of the wrappers they can't get out of their own way.
That is a huge role in what keeps many from buying new.
Take a few year old bike, let it breath, TUNE it, and pass many a new ones on the road for 10-15K less. To many I am sure the 10-15K (sprinkled over 6 years of payments) extra is worth it for a wider *** end and being able to say its only got 500 miles on it.
I can do alot of road trippen for the money saved. Not trying to get of on an "old" versus "new" rant here, but, emissions have gotten so strict, every motor company has had to de tune their engines so badly to comply. I am not a speed freak or hot rodder, but, it is nice being able to roll on the throttle and pass something in a block or 2 without having to down shift (and see the speedo @ 90 before ya know it).

Quick Reply: 88 ci Spanked 103 ci