Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing clutch cable for the first time

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Henry89
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing clutch cable for the first time

I'm going to be replacing my clutch cable with a longer one when I install my 10" PYO bars. This will be the first time I've replaced a clutch cable on a HD so is there anything special I need to be aware of when installing it? I do have a service manual for my 09 SG. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes don't cross thread it or tighten it too much. Put some lock tight on the threads and don't overtighten or you will ruin the rubber seal.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Here's something that spoke volumes for me and answers a boatload of questions:
Pay close attention to the clutch cable replacement segment >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik73i5x3jdI

Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Henry89
Tourer

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Here's something that spoke volumes for me and answers a boatload of questions:
Pay close attention to the clutch cable replacement segment >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik73i5x3jdI
I watched that vid last night. What I didn't understand was what was he doing under the derby cover on the left side?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

Just switched out the clutch cable on my SG when I put the 577s on. Simply take note of how the old one is run to the tranny cover. Follow the service manual directions, make sure the ***** are seated properly under the release arm. Adjust it according to the manual. The clutch inspection (derby) cover is removed to adjust the nut at the plates. That is all explained in the manual. Not a problem.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Henry89
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Just switched out the clutch cable on my SG when I put the 577s on. Simply take note of how the old one is run to the tranny cover. Follow the service manual directions, make sure the ***** are seated properly under the release arm. Adjust it according to the manual. The clutch inspection (derby) cover is removed to adjust the nut at the plates. That is all explained in the manual. Not a problem.
Thanks Gunnysgt! I'll read over the adjustment in the service manual.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM
4Fifteen1
Advanced

12" PYO bars, still using original clutch and brake cables. Clutch cable not ran through fearing though.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
strippedthread1
Advanced

As said before, use your service manual.
You can remove the right side cover of the transmission without draining the tranny fluid by rolling both wheels up on a 2x6, 2x8, or 2x12. By doing this, the bike will lean over further on the kickstand and when the clutch cable cover is removed from the tranny housing you won't lose your fluid.
I have done this on several bikes without a problem.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did mine... twice actually. Dont try to do this without draining the tranny... friend of mine told me he didnt lose much fluid when he did his (think he was setting me up) you will have a huge mess on your hands! When you re-install the new cable... tighten the cable into the clutch release cover before bolting the cover back on the tranny and before you make the inner connections. The manual says to leave it loose, when I did this the first time I barely had it tight and the cable fitting snapped off into the cover! Leave the bolts loose until you have the cable/lever adjusted and then go back and torque the bolts and refill the tranny. The tranny holds exactly one quart. The first time it took me about 2 hours (removing exhaust is 20 minutes for me) the second time it was less than 60 minutes.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

You've already done the smartest thing you can... bought the manual.

Just recently installed 10" Monkey bars on my StreetGlide as well. I also installed a new ss/chrome cable. It's the same length as the stock cable, but I just wanted to add a better looking cable to the whole handlebar mod. If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM, and I'll be glad to help you through it. Not very difficult at all, just remember the fundamentals of tearing it down and swapping out parts; don't over-tighten fasteners, make sure mating surfaces are clean, and pay close attention to how everything goes together before you tear it down. Take pics with your phone as you go (from several different views), so you can refer to them as you put it all back together.

I watched that vid last night. What I didn't understand was what was he doing under the derby cover on the left side?
Clutch adjustment. Just watching that segment alone doesn't really offer much info. The HD manual does a pretty good job of explaining this segment. It's been a while since I watched that entire video, but as good as it is, it's not the end-all/be-all. I can't remember if it details the segment of installing a NEW cable into the trans case.

Gunny mentioned the *****, that's a good note. also be sure to orientate the internal snap-ring properly when you put it back together. Thoroughly read/comprehend the clutch adjustment segment, and you'll be fine. Just a bunch of little details that will insure success. Again, don't hesitate to pm me any specific questions. Good luck!

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 05-11-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing clutch cable for the first time