Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyke Starter Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyke Starter Leaking Oil

I'm writing here due to I'm at my wits end with Spyke starters and trying to find the root cause for the problem. I replaced my stock starter due to the starter was having a difficult time turning over the 107 motor due to not having cr's. Ordered the 1.4 kw starter from Dennis Kirk and man this starter would turn over the motor with no effort. After about two weeks and coming home from a long hot ride I noticed a stream of oil at the back of the transmission and on the ground. Upon further investigation I discovered the area under the starter was soaked in oil.

I removed the starter for inspection and oil came out of the starter area, which told me that the starter was allowing oil to leak through the seals. I contacted DK and was told that I had to do all warranty claims with Spyke. I called them and told them the situation and they were shocked of this problem and I promptly sent the starter back and installed my stock starter. I continued to ride the bike with the stock starter for over a week, waiting for the rebuilt starter to arrive. While the stock starter was installed I had absolutely no leaks.

Well today I go to the garage and see oil at the rear of the bike again. This starter has been on for a couple of weeks. So now I'm puzzled if it is something else going on in the bike. I did check the vent on top of the transmission and no problem was found and was clear and not blocked. So now I'm asking of anyone has had a similar problem with this manufacturer or is there something I should check?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasVet
I'm writing here due to I'm at my wits end with Spyke starters and trying to find the root cause for the problem. I replaced my stock starter due to the starter was having a difficult time turning over the 107 motor due to not having cr's. Ordered the 1.4 kw starter from Dennis Kirk and man this starter would turn over the motor with no effort. After about two weeks and coming home from a long hot ride I noticed a stream of oil at the back of the transmission and on the ground. Upon further investigation I discovered the area under the starter was soaked in oil.

I removed the starter for inspection and oil came out of the starter area, which told me that the starter was allowing oil to leak through the seals. I contacted DK and was told that I had to do all warranty claims with Spyke. I called them and told them the situation and they were shocked of this problem and I promptly sent the starter back and installed my stock starter. I continued to ride the bike with the stock starter for over a week, waiting for the rebuilt starter to arrive. While the stock starter was installed I had absolutely no leaks.

Well today I go to the garage and see oil at the rear of the bike again. This starter has been on for a couple of weeks. So now I'm puzzled if it is something else going on in the bike. I did check the vent on top of the transmission and no problem was found and was clear and not blocked. So now I'm asking of anyone has had a similar problem with this manufacturer or is there something I should check?

Thanks in advance.

Hey man I know this post was a while ago but I am having same issues......... Spyke starter leaking and all over trans and dripping down oil pan. About to go but a harley stock starter to fix the problem ...... Was something else the issue? If you could get back to me that would be great

Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM
raw
Advanced

Don't know if this will help, but on my 07 road glide, I replaced the starter drive/clutch assembly in the factory starter with a "all *****" unit. I evidently over looked replacing one of the two oil rings that goes in the assembly. I found it leaking at a gas stop on the way to daytona.
Long story short removed the stater replaced with a new oring , problem fixed. Sorry I don't remember which oring it was, but it did allow primary lube to leak around it.
Good Luck.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,781 Posts
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rickierockit92
Hey man I know this post was a while ago but I am having same issues......... Spyke starter leaking and all over trans and dripping down oil pan. About to go but a harley stock starter to fix the problem ...... Was something else the issue? If you could get back to me that would be great
After my second round of leaking starter from Spyke I contacted Dennis Kirk and they allowed me to return the starter due to Spyke only wanting to repair the starter again and send it back to me. Now mind you Dennis Kirk will not take back a starter and only wants one to deal with the mfg for warranty situtation. But since this was my second round of a starter from Spyke they bent the rules for my situation.
Spyke would not send me a replacement starter and would only deal with the the leaking one, which really pissed me off. I confirmed with other forms, by doing a google search, that others were in the same boat as myself with having their Spyke starter leak and one had replaced his 5 times.
I returned the starter to Dennis Kirk and they gave me a credit and I then purchased a starter made by All Ball's and having the same 1.4kw. All ***** also makes starters for Drag Specialties. Since having this starter installed it has not leaked once and has been on the bike ever since and I have ridden on 115 degree days and no leakage what-so-ever.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser
Talking

Nice thanks guys, I am running stock 96 in there so jut gonna throw a harley stock strter in there......... Correct me if I'm wrong but it's only the two bolts to replace the starter right? Not like the 5 speeds where you need to take off primary cover etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

Nice thanks guys, I am running stock 96 in there so jut gonna throw a harley stock strter in there......... Correct me if I'm wrong but it's only the two bolts to replace the starter right? Not like the 5 speeds where you need to take off primary cover etc.
If you starter is okay and only the seals are leaking you can buy a replacement from All *****. Both DK and JP Cycles sells this. If your starter is shot then I would not hesitate buying a starter from All *****. Unsure of what the price difference would be from stealers compared to DK or JP Cycles. My original HD starter is still good but the clutch was weak and replaced and then decided to upgrade to 1.4kw for more torque to turnover my motor.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

I had same problem. First check to make sure the primary isn't overfilled with oil. Mine had a leaky crankshaft seal and crankcase oil was being pumped into the primary. It happens a lot. Next check to make sure the bearing on the starter clutch also has a seal in it. Some don't. Third make sure the two O-rings are on the starter.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Rickierockit92
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bingee
I had same problem. First check to make sure the primary isn't overfilled with oil. Mine had a leaky crankshaft seal and crankcase oil was being pumped into the primary. It happens a lot. Next check to make sure the bearing on the starter clutch also has a seal in it. Some don't. Third make sure the two O-rings are on the starter.

Thanks guys! That bearing on the starter clutch..... Is that the one on the inner primary? That the shaft of the strter passes through?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks guys! That bearing on the starter clutch..... Is that the one on the inner primary? That the shaft of the strter passes through?
It's not on the inner primary. It's on the clutch.

Last edited by Bingee; 09-21-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Spyke Starter Leaking Oil