Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced HD Riders Please Assist

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Experienced HD Riders Please Assist

Hello everyone. I purchased a new 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Classic on Monday. I've been riding around all week paying special attention to adhere to break-in procedures, i.e. not exceeding 3500 RPMs or keeping my speed/RPMs constant for any extended periods of time. I currently have 460 miles on the bike and I've come up with a few questions/concerns.

Just so everyone is aware, I came from the world of Yamaha - owning a 2003 V-Star 1100 and most recently a 2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe 1300. Both of these bikes were smooth and quiet running. I've always wanted an HD and finally made the change. Obviously, there are noises I'm not used to coming from the motor. Part of me wants to "assume" that everything is normal but the curious/worrying side of me needs to MAKE SURE all is well.

Here are my questions:
1. At about 2500 RPM's I get a "ticking". I've read on this forum some valve train noise that may be the issue. I've also read things that indicate a "sewing machine" type sound. I don't believe it sounds excessive but it's definately something that I think about when I hear it. I'd like some other input from you experts.

2. If I shift into 6th gear at 60MPH on a straight flat stretch (where I certainly wouldn't expect to he lugging the motor) I get a clattering type sound. I've only done this twice so far and only for a very short way, mainly just to "test" 6th gear, as I'm under the impression I shouldn't use 6th while breaking the bike in. Today I took the bike up to about 65 in 5th and shifted to 6th for about 1 mile just to see if there was any difference and I could still hear the clatter a bit, although it wasn't as noticable because of the wind noise. Any thouhts on this would be great.

3. Finally, sometimes when I shift from gear to gear I hear a secondary clank. In this case it isn't the clank of shifting to the next gear but rather a clank that happens as I'm letting off the clutch and rolling on the gas. Almost like the transmission is catching up with the engine and something is clanking together. Maybe I'm just not used to the clutch yet but I've had enough riding experience that I would think I'd become pretty familiar with the shifting after only a short period of time. Does anyone have any input on this.

I belonged to a Yamaha forum prior to purchasing my HD. I gathered so much information on that forum and learned so many things about my bike. I look forward to many years of learning from established HD riders on this site.

I'd really like your opinions and look foward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

1) You're going to hear a lot more engine noise especially with a fairing. I'm assuming your prior Yamaha didn't have a fairing.

2) Unless you've changed the gearing on the bike, I wouldn't shift into 6th gear until 70-75mph.

3) Could be the auto chain tensioner you are hearing or the compensator.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a normal Harley to me. The sewing machine and clattering type noise sounds like both of mine have. The dam noise still bothers me but it is what it is. I have learned to tune it out. I used to run Kaw's and all the extra noise is odd to me to but everyone told me it is normal too....

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ride it like you stole it

Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You will learn a lot on this bike. You can hear every part in the engine working. Just ride it and you will stop noticing the noise.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+ 1 for Dawg 6th gear 75 mph and above, don't worry too much about the noise, that's why HD put harmon kardon on the bikes, just turn it up some....

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
1) You're going to hear a lot more engine noise especially with a fairing. I'm assuming your prior Yamaha didn't have a fairing.

2) Unless you've changed the gearing on the bike, I wouldn't shift into 6th gear until 70-75mph.

3) Could be the auto chain tensioner you are hearing or the compensator.
Dawg, can you help me understand what the auto chain tensioner and compensator is and does? I'm afraid those are new terms to me. Should I be worried about them?

Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Chief I was on the YMF before and had an 1100 Vstar under the same forum name. The noises your ref to are all normal to the HDs. My 1100 used to be real noisy at higher speeds to the point I had to wear ear plugs if you can believe it.....

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

The auto chain tensioner automatically takes up slack in the primary chain. Prior to the 07 tourers, they were manual adjusters that needed adjusting now and again. With the auto tensioners there is no more adjusting. The compensator is the front sprocket in the primary that absorbs pulses of the drive train. You don't need to worry about either of them. You have a newer improved compensator in your bike than say what mine came with. I had to pay for the SE model to upgrade mine.

Quick Reply: Experienced HD Riders Please Assist