Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Regulator Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
slash64
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Voltage Regulator

Hate to say that I was having the same problem. Everything checks out ordered new regulator just to see, still have same problem and have checked every wire,connection,grounds,etc i can find. if you find out I sure would like to know what you find. I'm running out of ideas.
Thanks

Old 05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
eske29
2nd Gear

Yeah you bet, same goes for you. I would hate to break down and go to the dealer and have the stator replaced. That seems to be the only thing that's left in the charging system that I haven't replaced. It's driving me crazy!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM
eske29
2nd Gear
Smile

Slash64, I found the culprit! The connection to the crankcase was the problem. The way I narrowed it down was to push it further in with the bike running and a volt meter on the battery. It looks like the connectors on the regulator were not making the proper connection. What I did is, put some copper wires out of the regulator connection to add a little bit of length to male plugs. This worked, I will probably get the connector replaced but this is a quick fix. I'm reading 13.88 volts at the battery now. I was thinking about soldering the wires to the plug. But we'll see how much it costs to get it fixed first. I hope this helps. Let me know.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM
the1fatman
Stage IV
Default Verified crap

HD electrical components are sub-standard and that's all there is to say. For dependability, I try to find clone replacement parts from Quality manufacurers anytime I have a HD part failure. It is very sad that HD continues to rape loyal BIG MONEY spending patrons, via their "mutitude of failure prone electrical and mechanical components". Other manufacturers have proven for years that, dependable parts can be used in vehicles as desired. This is no more than HD pounding the colons of their loyal and often unwarey followers.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM
04sportster04
Advanced

WOW!!! are you lucky. Mine went all at once on the road and I lost eveything. I didn't dare shut it off till I got home and I'm glad I did because it had to be trailered to the repair shop. So... I upgraded to a 3-phase Cycle Electric system. The culprits... stator and a cheap chrome china made regulator.

Glad to hear yours was an pretty easy fix and great troubleshooting.

Let us know if anything creeps up after your fix.

Oh!! I have an 94 FLHTCU

Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by the1fatman
HD electrical components are sub-standard and that's all there is to say.
Complete and utter crap.
As with all components there will be some which develop a fault.There a thousands of Harley's out there with no problems at all.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM
cp1
Cruiser

Always a good feeling to find the problem and for it to be a cheap fix. Make sure to go back and check all your grounds especially the one at the regulator that will fry your stator.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 AM
FlyBD5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Trev
Complete and utter crap.
As with all components there will be some which develop a fault.There a thousands of Harley's out there with no problems at all.
Pure, unadulterated, weapons-grade balonyum. Thousands more out there are suffering from the problems associated with cheap Chinese crap. Same **** that happens when harvard business school morons get their grubby hands on Made in the USA companies.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

My charging system on my '12 RKC was having issues. I found this thread and in it is a great write-up on diagnosing the system, so I thought we'd keep the thread alive.

Using my multi-meter, which I don't use often, I was able to follow the instructions and concluded it was the regulator. (Battery and stator checked out OK.) Seeing as this was the 2nd HD regulator to go bad in under 10,000 miles, I decided to buy one from Cycle Electric in Ohio, through JP Cycle.

The Cycle Electric regulator installed with no issues and seems to be working just fine. It's construction is much sturdier than the HD part; more metal, less plastic. I can't speak for the guts,but I'm hoping they use stuff that will last longer than the OEM part. Also, the cost was about $155, where the HD part is about 199 online.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
kitt90
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ty to 89flht and to harley forums after a costly tow home and what the dealer said on the phone ie stator rotor and volt regulator replacement 5 hr repair @ 250/hr plus parts prices, i fainted and it took me 4 days to wake up . i got on hd forums found 89flht s post and did my stator test my battery was brand new i checked it anyway . so i know its the regulator part ordered wow i saved big money thanks to 89flht and hd forums btw this also worked on my 07 rk 3 phase charging system

Quick Reply: Voltage Regulator Failure