Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enough with the Squealing arse rear brake already!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enough with the Squealing **** rear brake already!

I had just about gotten use to hearing the rear brake Squeal a little every time I stop. Not too bad and sometimes no squeal at all.
But here the last 2 days, is constant squealing the whole time the rear brake is applied! It's downright embarrassing not to mention ear piercing!

I guess I need to stop at the auto parts and pick up some silicone for the brake pads. Why the hell doesn't HD apply this stuff when they build the bike??!!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

could be brake dust build up as well.

do a proper job, clean everything, apply lube to the pins and anti squeak to the back of the pads.

some of us chamfer the leading edge at 30º~45º

check your pads and disc are not grooved

I take the extra step of releasing the bleeder when I push the pistons back, this expels the dirtiest of the fluid.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup I agree, brake pad dust build up. Hose it off and if that does not work then go through everything he suggests. I find when hearing the rear or fronts squeal I just hose them down real good and it takes care of the problem for a while.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Good tips and thanks. But this bike only has 1300 miles on it. The only thing I can think of is rust really.
And when I wash the bike, I wash the chit out of it. Bags come off and even the frame underneath gets washed and is spotless. Wheels, calipers and all get a good scrubbing and hosing with water.

I did get caught in a bad thunderstorm the day before this squealing started getting real bad and I have not had a chance to wash it yet.
Either way the calipers are coming off and getting lubed up.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I almost never use my rear brake so squealing is not an issue for me.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Good tips and thanks. But this bike only has 1300 miles on it. The only thing I can think of is rust really.
And when I wash the bike, I wash the chit out of it. Bags come off and even the frame underneath gets washed and is spotless. Wheels, calipers and all get a good scrubbing and hosing with water.

I did get caught in a bad thunderstorm the day before this squealing started getting real bad and I have not had a chance to wash it yet.
Either way the calipers are coming off and getting lubed up.
The brake dust clumps together when it gets wet and isn't fully removed. I suppose rust particles is a possibility. The only thing I can tell you is every single time I hear brake squeal it has been brake dust. I hose them out real well and that's it for a while. There are certainly other things that will cause a brake to squeal like a stuck caliper or a damaged brake pad.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
I had just about gotten use to hearing the rear brake Squeal a little every time I stop. Not too bad and sometimes no squeal at all.
But here the last 2 days, is constant squealing the whole time the rear brake is applied! It's downright embarrassing not to mention ear piercing!

I guess I need to stop at the auto parts and pick up some silicone for the brake pads. Why the hell doesn't HD apply this stuff when they build the bike??!!
What year bike? there was a bulletin a few years ago to address this. The bulletin was M-1228 I think.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by vzts4q
What year bike? there was a bulletin a few years ago to address this. The bulletin was M-1228 I think.
Sorry bout that. It's a 2012 Ultra limited.
It has sat in the garage more than it's been ridden as I work 12-14 hour days and the bike stays torn apart most of the time while I install mods. I still ride the Dyna a lot while the ultra is sitting and I have never had a lick of problem with squealing on the Dyna.
Like I said though, it needs a major bath and I will inspect the calipers before I wash them. I want to know why, not just grease it up and let it go.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:40 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

could be rust then, if you put her away wet.

if so, it'll scrub off soon enough.

rain...I've heard of that- like water from the sky ?

Mike

Old 05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar

rain...I've heard of that- like water from the sky ?

Mike
Yeah ain't that something? This time last year we were battling wildfires and one of the worst droughts in years! Now we are over the yearly average rainfall. They said last year that the drought would continue this year and beyond but I think we are getting back to good old Southeast Texas weather!
I avoid riding on rainy days like the plaque! Mostly because I hate polishing chrome. But this year I have been caught in several storms. It's one of those things about riding in southeast Texas. Most days in the spring are 20% chance of rain. You either just ride and not worry about it or you never get to ride because your scared of getting caught in a storm. I ride just about every day unless the weather man says it's 50% chance or more then screw that, I take the truck!

So far for me this year, 20% seems to be more like 80%. If you want it to rain at your house, just invite me to ride my bike over, you'll get your rain.

Last edited by BigGelvis; 05-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Enough with the Squealing arse rear brake already!