Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much primary oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Why don't we just answer his question and leave it at that. I think he is aware by now that owning a service/owner's manual is a good idea.

If "get a manual" was our response for every trivial question, there wouldn't be much use for a community forum. I agree, everyone needs a service manual for sure. But we never know a persons immediate circumstances for asking. So I suggest that we help each other when we can, and as best we can. I confess that I have been guilty of "manual bashing" folks in the past, and it's easy to do, so I guess I am getting softer in my old age. (I know what you are thinking....)

The following 2 users liked this post by Lowcountry Joe:
perki48 (03-30-2017), RoaringRigid (12-04-2017)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
..... so I guess I am getting softer in my old age. (I know what you are thinking....)

A lot of questions we answer are often simple and can be got from the owners manual or service manual. I for one (having both books for all three of my Milwaukee marvels) am amazed how often we get asked very basic stuff. So it is understandable that when newcomers ask, they get prompted. Now if we could just get shares in Harley's print company.....

OP Tom did let the cat out of the bag with his "I have heard that the manual...."

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

If I relied on my service manual for my mod's I wouldn't have done any of em. The manual raises more questions than it answers and I know thats why I come on the forum with pics and perplexing questions....when I ask question its because I need answers from those that have done it and know how to get me past the conundrum often times made by the manual not expounding on the areas in question. Its almost a true statement to say the manual has confused the hell out of me and can I get someone whose solved the problem the 'Manual' couldnt or often times caused.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend never add more than 28oz, then check, add up to what is needed.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PassRusher75
I recommend never add more than 28oz, then check, add up to what is needed.
My 09 Service Manual says add 38oz of oil in the primary when it's a simple oil change, and 45oz if the primary cover has been removed.
If I put 1qt (32oz), like some suggest, the oil doesn't reach the bottom of the clutch inspection opening.
I might be dumb but when I read "put 38oz", I put 38oz.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM
MIBPreacher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im glad I bought the manual, its a life saver.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Put in 1 quart 32oz. of HD Formula Plus. Your better off with a little less than too much.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 AM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
My 09 Service Manual says add 38oz of oil in the primary when it's a simple oil change, and 45oz if the primary cover has been removed.
If I put 1qt (32oz), like some suggest, the oil doesn't reach the bottom of the clutch inspection opening.
Hope you didn't miss "Add up to what is needed".
After all, you are looking at your bike, you can see the full reference, and by sight you "Add up to what is needed".
Or, you can be as you said, and put in only what you read. .02.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
We seem to have data in this thread relating to three generations of dressers, which in part explains why the numbers you mention don't relate to your bike. The underlying advice to fill to the specified level, instead of just dumping in a set quantity of oil, applies to them all.

Quick Reply: How much primary oil?