Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much primary oil?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 PM
tom lipke
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much primary oil?

I have an 01 electra glide. what is the correct amount of primary oil? I have heard that the manual calls for 32oz. I have also read that people put in 38oz but I believe that is for the newer models 07 & up. just want to make sure.
thanks

Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i sugest you buy the correct service manual for your year bike. it will save you tons of dough.

first thing i bought for all of my harleys.

here i found you one on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...buying-options

Last edited by baust55; 05-20-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My service manual 01 RK, states the capacity at 32 oz. however it also states "these are estimates and the level should be check according to the methods in chapter.." (yada yada yada...)

Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

32oz sounds correct if I remember.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

I think, a quart.

Do a google search.

Buying a manual wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

From the service manual for the 2000 FLT models (same primary as on the 01's):
"With the vehicle standing upright, the level of the lubricant must be at the bottom edge of the diaphragm spring or 2 3/4 inches from the centerline of the clutch adjuster screw. The primary chaincase capacity is 32 ounces."

When I do my primary, for lack of something better, I put an ordinary brick under the jiffy stand. This gets the bike "close to vertical", but still a few degrees toward the left side. It won't tip over without an effort, but be careful anyway.

For some reason, 32 ounces may not actually bring the fluid up to the bottom edge of the spring. If that's the case, add a little at a time until it does, and try to keep track as to how many ounces "over 32" you've put in. Then, next time, just measure out this amount and pour it in. Works for me.

The following users liked this post:
Former USMC (05-04-2020)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have a display stand, which makes that check very easy! Fishrrman gives the correct level. If the chaincase is bone dry, say after a primary rebuild, it may well take 32 ounces, but when doing a normal service oil change it will probably take less.

You should never fill any oil reservoir with the stated quantity - always check for the correct level.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The important thing is that the diaphragm springs are "just" covered down at the bottom of the clutch pack... with the bike vertical. If you over-fill it based on ounces recommendations alone, or take shortcuts by not getting the bike vertical, then it might make neutral hard to find. So go visual if you are simply changing the primary case lubricant.

If you are rebuilding, then most likely it will take the 32 ounces once all of the oil is distributed to all of the surface areas within the clutch assembly, chain, and compensator parts.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 05-21-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by baust55
i sugest you buy the correct service manual for your year bike. it will save you tons of dough.
Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
My service manual 01 RK, states the capacity at 32 oz. however it also states "these are estimates and the level should be check according to the methods in chapter.." (yada yada yada...)
Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
Buying a manual wouldn't hurt.
Originally Posted by Fishrrman
From the service manual for the 2000 FLT models (same primary as on the 01's):
"With the vehicle standing upright, the level of the lubricant must be at the bottom edge of the diaphragm spring or 2 3/4 inches from the centerline of the clutch adjuster screw. The primary chaincase capacity is 32 ounces."
notice a common theme here?

but, you don't even need a service manual for this. this information is pretty clearly spelled out in your owners manual. and if you don't have an owners manual, you can register online at h-d.com and look it up online.
(but having a service manual is a very handy thing to have)

Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM
JEDHRMC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03 RG was 32oz, the 2011 is 38oz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much primary oil?