Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner...XIED...Remapping????????

Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
dice2010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner...XIED...Remapping????????

What to do, I am really confused. First of all let me say that I am not a mechanic type guy. Here is where I am at. I live in So. Calif. during the winter only. I have a 2012 ElectraGlide Classic, that is still bone stock. The heat from the cat converter doesn't bother me because I am not there during the hot months, so I am leaving it in place.But, the bike has no sound, and lacks power. So, I am going to do a stage 1 kit and some new slipons.
Here is my problem. I have decided on the Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1, haven't decided on the slip ons yet. I can put on the stage 1, and I can swap the pipes. From this site I know I have to do something now about the fuel/air mixture. I read to get a XIED from some, get a tuner from others, and some just say to have the dealer do a remap. I am not going to get a Dyno, because I don't need to have it be perfect and don't want to spend the extra $$$. I just want a little more sound and a little more power.
So, do I do an XIED, a tuner, or what. Is their an advantage a tuner has over an XIED? Which do I go with? I know tuners can be pricey, definitely more than an XIED.
Can someone help me out with difference between these?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by dice2010
...So, do I do an XIED, a tuner, or what. Is their an advantage a tuner has over an XIED? Which do I go with? I know tuners can be pricey, definitely more than an XIED....
Do you want mediocre or a better, more responsive and efficient machine? If mediocre, go with the "ied" things.

And if you decide to go with the "ied's" then skip the air cleaner...you won't get any performance results from it.

Last edited by Pine Tree; 06-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your in california...do they emissions check bikes there...that could influence what your options are.

I have been the XIED route and was happy with that while I was at stage I. But then I jumped to stage III and needed to go for a more robust solution so I went with the thundermax with auto tune.....primarily because of the wide band sensors and non dealer dependency on remapping going forward.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had the stage 1 download done on mine and I'm pretty happy with it.
The intake will make a difference even with the stock mufflers.
My plan was to do the download and xieds later if needed.
The mods (in my sig) worked well for me so far and I get great mileage and it sounds pretty cool , but not loud enough to bother the neighbors.
A tuner would be able to wring out every last bit of tuning power for you , but to just make up for the intake/muffler combo , the download and maybe later the xieds would work pretty well.
Fuel mileage was more important to me than ultimate power output.
Mick

Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dice2010
What to do, I am really confused. First of all let me say that I am not a mechanic type guy. Here is where I am at. I live in So. Calif. during the winter only. I have a 2012 ElectraGlide Classic, that is still bone stock. The heat from the cat converter doesn't bother me because I am not there during the hot months, so I am leaving it in place.But, the bike has no sound, and lacks power. So, I am going to do a stage 1 kit and some new slipons.
Here is my problem. I have decided on the Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1, haven't decided on the slip ons yet. I can put on the stage 1, and I can swap the pipes. From this site I know I have to do something now about the fuel/air mixture. I read to get a XIED from some, get a tuner from others, and some just say to have the dealer do a remap. I am not going to get a Dyno, because I don't need to have it be perfect and don't want to spend the extra $$$. I just want a little more sound and a little more power.
So, do I do an XIED, a tuner, or what. Is their an advantage a tuner has over an XIED? Which do I go with? I know tuners can be pricey, definitely more than an XIED.
Can someone help me out with difference between these?
It all depends on what you want now and plan to do in the future. The newer Harley's have a great ECM on them. They will adjust to small changes. If you are going to leave your stock header on and just want some sound and intake to let it breathe better, plus run cooler, the Xied's will work great. I've been running them on three different touring bikes now. I have over 25K on the RK in my sig pic. All those miles are with slipon's, Arlen Ness BS a/c and Xied's.

If you plan to do header, cams and maybe bigger motor later, go with a tuner. If you are **** about getting every ounce of performance and want to get stoplight to stoplight 1 second quicker, buy a tuner! Do some research, you will know what you want. It's confusing on here because guy's usually push what they have.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Ventilator A/C and Bub 7 Slip-ons. I had a PC V and had the bike dynod. It ran very well but was very bad on MPGs. I know it was the tuner, but I decided to sell the PC V and went with VIEDs. I will say power is down slightly, but I am happy with both the performance and the MPGs. I went with the VIEDs so I could adjust the fuel ratio a little. I would highly recommend them over the XIEDs. You may not think you will adjust them, but I think you will (I think they were an extra $10). It is one little screw on the VIEDs - you can adjust them by the seat of your pants method and get the bike just how you want it. Give them a call at Nightrider.com, they will be happy to talk to you (I think his name is Steve).

Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

call fuelmoto.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Let me give you another perspective. For 5500miles slip-on's and no cat with a VIED worked just fine. When the miles started getting closer to the 6k area I started noticing what appeared to be a ping in the higher rpm range that is slowly getting worse. All my research points to 1) there's a problem with my fuel delivery. 2) In spite of a cooler plug and douching the bike with Seafoam, nothings going to reverse the pinging unless I can remove some timing. I researched timing adjustment options and 1)I'm just not taking it to a dealer, that's a big fat no. 2)What happens to the pinging has to be done by either a dyno or a tuner. I researched tuners factoring cost, usability and proven performance and popularity and there's just no way around the fact that I've got to be able to manipulate the fuel delivery and the timing in the area I'm getting the pinging. After being a strong advocate against tuners, I am unable to dispute the necessity of one to change what's happening to my motor and a tuner is the only way. So, I'm going with a Power Commander V where I can access all areas of the map to manipulate it. Fuel Moto is inserting a map for my setup and I'm going from there. Do I expect to solve the pinging from the get go: that would be nice, but I have no illusions. It's likely I will need to gradually alter the map until the pinging is gone. You'll have to make the same decision for yourself and I hope you don't find the need for a tuner but you'll have to keep an open mind because you never know what tomorrow will bring.....let us know which way you go....

Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM
flhtupser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a dyno tuned pc III on my '06 and it ran fine. Mpgs were in the upper 30's. On my '09 I'm running fuelmoto's billet ac, Vance & Hines twin slash slip ons, xieds and stage one download. Mpgs are upper 30's to low 40's and runs real good. I don't plan on future mods so went with xieds and am very happy with the results.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Do you want mediocre or a better, more responsive and efficient machine? If mediocre, go with the "ied" things.

And if you decide to go with the "ied's" then skip the air cleaner...you won't get any performance results from it.
This is simply not true at all!! Please tell me how xied or vied somehow make an a/c change pointless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuner...XIED...Remapping????????