Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coupl'a Touring questions...

Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coupl'a Touring questions...

I'm that guy who hasn't had a bike in 25 years and now about to retire to a life of long rides. I've been looking at the Dynas, settled on the Switchback, and it finally (I'm slow) dawns on me that if I'll ride a Switchback with the glass off and the bags on, why wouldn't I ride a Touring bike? I'm no kid anymore; the reasons I wouldn't look at a bagger way back when just don't seem to apply anymore, when I actually think about it. They're expensive, new, but there sure seem to be a number of good deals on 'em in craigslist.

So...first off, what's the deal with the Street Glide? I saw a thread a while back with someone tearing around a rodeo on one, and the remark was that finally, someone found a use for one...it seemed to be saying that among the touring family, that'd be the red headed stepchild. Is that just the one person's opinion, or is it a bike I'd want to avoid?

I've seen bikes with a belt for the primary and not been concerned...it's a big belt. How is it working out as the secondary drive (to the rear wheel)?

Next...is there really a reason for the Sharknose fairing, a reason that I'd want the fairing to continue to point forward if I'm turning the wheel? I mean, if I'm actually turning the wheel rather than leaning, I must be moving pretty slow...Is the frame mount just something more stable than the fork-mounts? This is the one touring bike I haven't seen available used, and that could be because they don't sell a lot of 'em, but could mean less riders are willing to part with the Road Glide... I'm not that anxious about blocking the wind anyway, but if there's more to recommend the RK than just that fairing, I'd sure like to know while I'm still shopping.

There's two bikes in particular that I'm considering (if I can make myself give up the idea of a brand new bike in warranty...that's a helluva incentive!) Not far from here there's an 01 Road King, and just over the hill is an ElectraGlide Classic...both priced under $8000, so less than half the price of a new Switchback. Between the two, I prefer the Road King just on looks.

I never cared about music while I'm riding...I hear tunes in the motor sound, and since most of the time I'd be riding with the bags but no windshield/fairing, the electronics in it wouldn't matter anyway. Even if I'm gonna consider touring bikes, I'm still something of a purist; I love bikes for the simplicity as much as anything, and that's probably the biggest reason I was avoiding touring bikes; added complexity I don't need...but I do plan some long trips upcoming, and I want my wife comfortable. I was ready to accept the Switchback because the suspension is adjustable, but if these bikes really are more comfortable long-range, I'd be a fool not to at least investigate 'em.

Thanks for the time it took to read this novella I just posted I thought I oughta get it all on the page while it's still intact in my head...and thanks for any advice or info.

Eric

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Test ride a Road King or Road King Classic. It will answer all the questions for you. If you were considering a new Switchback, that's $16K. Look for a '09 or after RK or RKC in that same price range to get the improved touring frame which, by all reports helps handling immeasurably. I didn't ride touring class before '09 so I can't speak to the comparison, but I can tell you that my '11 handles like a dream with none of the "wobble" that is described for the earlier frame.

Have fun picking out your new ride!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

The Streetglide is probably the best selling touring bike HD makes.

Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Eric, if that's your picture you're gettin' close to the age where you'll appreciate a touring bike. While you might still be young enough to enjoy the ride without a fairing & windshield now, things change fast as you get older. At 68 (for about another 12 weeks) I'm only on my second touring bike. I still enjoy a bike without a windshield, but not for the weeks or month long trips I can take since I retired.

All the bikes you mentioned are good once personalized, so you should probably rent one of each model for a day or two to see which pleases you most. The Road King is the easiest to remove the windshield from, but offers the least weather protection. I know a couple of guys that ride all over the country on 'em. The Street Glide is pretty much a sport version of the Electra Glide. If you add a tour pack you might as well have just bought the EGlide. The Road Glide is a bit more stable, & handles a little better than the handlebar fairing bikes & gives a feeling of more room between you & the fairing. It comes with more buffeting, but if you don't want a windshield in the first place that shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

If you're really going to travel on the bike look for the most luggage capacity you can get, you'll use it!

longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 on test riding.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Gimp
Road Captain

TKDKurt
Wow, that was quick. Thanks for your time. Your 11 looks to be the identical color of the '01 I'm looking at, except its bags were matching purple. My wife likes it a lot...and anything to get her on the back for a day, so she can catch the fever...hey, it's all good!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
jsvt184
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you might like the ElectraGlide Standard too. All the nice things of a touring bike without all the bells and whistles and without the big price. They don't make them any more but you might find a good used one. It has a batwing fairing and you'll be happy of that if you're going to go on long rides.

The Street Glide and Road Glide are both beautiful machines, with different styling, and definitely more desirable than the Standard but may have more accessories than you want.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Gimp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stro1965
The Streetglide is probably the best selling touring bike HD makes.
Hunh! Musta been some subtext I wasn't picking up on in that thread. Wouldn't be the first thing I missed.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Rotlex
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a Sportster, then a Fat Boy, then a Road King, now an Electra Glide Ultra. I'm 44. I'll never again own anything without a fairing, a radio, a lot of storage, and a touring frame. Really. Once you go full dresser you never go back.

At one point in time I thought I'd never use a windshield, now I can't imaging riding without the fairing. Never thought I'd use a radio because "the sound of the motor is music to my ears". Now I can't live without my iPhone plugged into the thing jamming to whatever I'm in the mood for. Never thought I'd need saddle bags, let alone a trunk. Well, now I can't...... you get the idea, LOL.

All I'm saying is don't write off an Electra Glide if you found a decent one in a price range you can live with. Try one. Think hard on it, and don't make the mistake of buying a bike and only wanting something more\different, in a year, LOL.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Another "happy" FLHX/Street Glide rider here, but any of the geezer glide class bikes are equally comfy & functional. Get to dealer & test ride the heck out of some until you get a particular bike dialed-in to your liking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coupl'a Touring questions...