Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solved 90% of my rattling problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solved 90% of my rattling problem!

I have had these loud annoying rattles when the motor is running in the lower RPM range on decel and acceleration.
I found the source of one of them last week. Turned out to be the Harley brand triple windshield bags vibrating on the windshield. I repositioned it and re tightened the shield and it went away.
But the louder vibration was coming from what I thought was the upper fairing inside somewhere.
I was wrong, Turns out it was the damn lower fairing vents the whole time! I took them off this weekend to get more air down there and low and behold, the rattles are gone. Just have one small rattle left somewhere on the rear of the bike but it is not that bad.
Those damn lower fairing vents were driving me crazy!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain

Glad you figured it out.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I usually let those annoying rattles work themselves out. After the part falls off, no more rattle.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad you found it! Rattles drive me nuts. seems like they always come from somewhere other than where they are actually located too! enough to give a man gray hair. lol

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
MIBPreacher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got one where every time I give it some gas and it comes back down, it rattles. Turns out its my latches to my hard bags but I am not sure how to stop it.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

Don't you just love playing "Find the Rattle"!!!!!!

(glad you won that one)

1HarleyGuy1

Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 PM
HDDozer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told a friend of this thread because i think he is having the same issue. Thanks for posting

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

I don't love playing find the rattle! lol. I had one in my truck that made me want to drive it off a cliff. (And I love my truck). turned out to be a little tiny bolt on the exhaust, and I was going to tear the engine apart! luckily, my current bike hasn't played any major "hide the rattle" lately

Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
I don't love playing find the rattle! lol. I had one in my truck that made me want to drive it off a cliff. (And I love my truck). turned out to be a little tiny bolt on the exhaust, and I was going to tear the engine apart! luckily, my current bike hasn't played any major "hide the rattle" lately
Funny thing is, I bought one of your shields and installed it a week after I bought the bike. First thing I did was question my own installation of the shield. I did have to go back and install longer bolts a week later when I installed the windshield bags.
Everything seemed to come from the front fairing area and I thought maybe I jarred something loose inside somewhere. But a simple loosening of the shield bolts and readjusting the bags did the trick.

Once I had that one gone, I could hear more clearly the louder vibration. I am sooooo glad I had planned to remove those lower vents before I dug into the front fairing!!
And after taking a closer look at the vents and how they mount to the lowers, I don't know why I did not suspect them first off.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Sooo, is that a good thing or a bad thing that you bought a shield? : P I don't want to lay awake tonight thinking someone played "find the rattle" because of me. I'm not being sarcastic. I will drive there right now and fix that if so! lol ok, maybe not, but still...

Quick Reply: Solved 90% of my rattling problem!