Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when is pinging the most prevelant during acceleration or steady cruising?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I like that about you TUCCI. Not going to do something that you don't thoroughly understand just because someone says you should. I'm the same way.

If you ever decide on a tuner though, I'm sure you can learn and understand its in's and out's with a little effort. And then you'll look back and say "****, I should have done this ages ago".
2black1s we will have to pick this topic up in the not too distant future. The more I learn about these bikes the more I see the value hell, the necessity to have my thumb on how and what way it uses and directs fuel. Perhaps in your spare time when you come across them you can send me some links of fuel management considerations...a thimble full at a time if you would. I'm a firm believer in ' A Cinch by the inch, what's hard by the yard'. A link at a time what I need to inevitably go to. Thanks again for all your help

Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by journeyman
The VRod plug is the same size but one range cooler, so yes that was the choice.
I don't think the brand matters as much as the temperature of the plug.
I got the iridium plug from Denso #IXU24. Yes, I sometimes am particular to a fault as well, so they are indexed.
journeyman thanks for the pointer, I will be installing the plugs first thing before I set out and maybe if their not too far off I can index em before hand....thank you for you help.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Phatboy2010
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SE 255 cams will take care of that problem.......

Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phatboy2010
SE 255 cams will take care of that problem.......
Not so, at least not on my bike.
While running the gamut of solutions for this fix, I also had wishful thinking with the already planned 255 cam upgrade. The 255 cams made no difference at all with the pinging.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'd like to understand

Hi,
What are you hearing exactly?
My new helmet catches a 'ticking' sound that I would describe as a fingernail tapping against the outside (of the helmet).
The frequency of the ticking is related to the engine speed, the modulation / intensity corresponds to the load on the engine, the ticking sound stops when the throttle is null (no effort on the engine) and comes back when I use engine braking (going downhill).
I never heard this sound before when I wore my fiberglass helmet or when I rode without a helmet.
Today was my first ride with this new tachometer

Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
You're mixing detonation and pre-ignition, and the fact is that they're very different phenomena. Rather than handing out your opinion as fact, why not educate yourself?
Instead of chewing people on the internet, try acting like an adult. Are is it that you actually aren't one? In which case carry on.

If you have something useful to add, then do so.

I am well aware of the difference between pre-ignition and knocking/pinging. However, both are often made more likely by the same set of circumstances, which is why I listed them together. Though pre-ignition is rare in modern engines, it can still take place. In fact, detonation can cause pre-ignition, and vice versa.

The only real difference is that pre-ignition occurs prior to the spark plug firing (thus the name), whereas pinging/knocking occurs after. Both pre-ignition and knocking/pinging significantly increase combustion chamber pressures, both increase heat, and both can lead to damage. As I clearly stated, high heat and chamber pressure can create pre-ignition, when is when hot spots (heat again!) ignite the fuel before the spark plug does.

The set of circumstances I described increase the chances of both occurring. If you want to debate that, post up some facts. But if you just want to bully on the internet, find someone else.

Last edited by Ovaltine Jenkins; 05-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Expat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins
Though pre-ignition is rare in modern engines, it can still take place. In fact, detonation can cause pre-ignition, and vice versa.
Would you agree that the 'state of the art' combustion in modern air cooled engines producing what can be interpretated as a ticking/pinging sound is simply the sound of the explosion inside the cylinder propagated by the cooling fins?
Since both cooling fins and carbon fiber have a high (Young's) modulus they could well pair during an accoustical exchange?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:56 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Actually I find the circumstances of the pinging phenomena to have an acoustical correlation to one of a sucking sound, in which it starts at my engine and travels through my wallet ending at my financial repository that threatens diminished future assets and undesired restrictions with relation to my recreational liberties.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Expat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by journeyman
Actually I find the circumstances of the pinging phenomena to have an acoustical correlation to one of a sucking sound, in which it starts at my engine and travels through my wallet ending at my financial repository that threatens diminished future assets and undesired restrictions with relation to my recreational liberties.
Well, another woodpecker found a friendly home

Old 05-02-2020, 08:55 PM
A J
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a PCV programmed at 13.2 AFR and the Timing advanced 2-4 degrees dependending on rpm, what would you suggest for the timing? I am experiencing a slight ping and what you say seems to resonate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: when is pinging the most prevelant during acceleration or steady cruising?