Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Vs. Road Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Street Glide Vs. Road Glide Custom

I am thinking that this summer I might be trading in or selling my Street Bob and getting either a Street Glide or a Road Glide Custom. I have always loved the look of the Street Glide, but have recently found intrest in the Road Glide Custom, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place when deciding which bike I like better.

I would like to get peoples input on these two models, let me know what you like about them and what you dislike about them. I would like these to be opinions based on personal usage of the bikes.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide me. And please don't hold back on how much you like or dislike the bike.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I test rode a Road Glide Custom. Below is the link to my thoughts. You should spend some time on each and decide for yourself. I now own both a batwing and a sharknose. I use the Ultra for two up touring, the Road Glide Custom will be used for solo runs.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-this-doh.html

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i road them both when i was buying my bike i didnt see much differance in the ride itself. other then the fairings one being fork mounted and the other frame mounted. the road glide fairing seemed a little fair away for me since im not really tall (5'8) so reaching for the stereo buttons just seemed easyer on the sg. with me it honestly came down to the look of the bike(and the wifes ). but like i said i didnt really feel to much differance in the ride on either bike unless your getting the ultra then the lower fairings make a big differance. just my opinion

Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM
LynnSG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant go wrong with either.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Personally, I like the low profile look of the SG over the shark-nose, but only YOU can decide what you like & want to ride.

heheheh, kind of a nice "predicament" to be in, though!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
satman
Cruiser

I have a 2012 RGC and have put 2500 miles on it so far (3 months). Traded in a 2000 Road King and had 53,000 miles on it. I ride with a friend who has a 2012 SG and we frequently switch bikes to compare. I am a short guy (5'7") and my buddy is a little taller at 5'10" The RGC seems bigger due to the shark nose fairing being much further away from the rider. The RGC seems to have a little more wind protection than the batwing bike though neither one of us is happy with the stock windshield. I switched to a windvest 10 inch clear and it is perfect - I look over it and not through it. My friend is on his third choice and not happy yet. We both are amazed at how good these bikes handle and how smooth they are compared to our old Road Kings. My stock seat makes my butt ache after 2 hours but my friend likes his seat OK. I would say we both like the stock bars on the Street Glide better but both of us are changing those as well. I have pulled the bars back as far as practical and that helped but I still get the ache between the shoulder blades after about 2 hours - I am changing the bars today after this post! My old RK was very comfortable on the long rides but it was modified to suit me and my riding style - I am sure once I get the handlebar and seat relationship worked out the RGC will be very very good. I let a friend who has a BMW GS 1200 ride my bike and he was floored by the smooth ride and handling - he even said he was seriously thinking about buying one!! The RGC seems a little more stable and the SG a little more agile. The instruments are easier to read by far on the SG. It is amazing to note how different two similar bikes can feel. I would buy another RGC in a heart beat and my friend would buy his Street Glide again as well. Ride both as much as the dealer will let you to make up your mind - I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a long ride on both. Then you will know which one suits you.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide Vs. Road Glide Custom-apalachicola-roadie.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Way too many SG's on the road for me, everyone seems to have one. I would go with the RG if it was me just to be different. I have had 2 bat wing bikes and hated both of them. They are horrible in the wind. Haven't ridden a RG but I hear good things about the frame mounted fairing. If I ever sell my RKC that is what I will get.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mllgator
Take a long ride on both. Then you will know which one suits you.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM
izzle22
Advanced

It always cracks me up when people ask a question on here like the difference between 2 bikes and the response is always: "go ride both and you decide" Don't you think if someone is asking this question they don't have the opportunity to ride both or they just want to hear other people's opinions. Telling someone to just go ride one or decide for yourself does not answer the question they asked.

Quick Reply: Street Glide Vs. Road Glide Custom