Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Fog Lights

I recently purchased a 2008 FLHTP Police Commemorative Electra Glide. The fog lights were not working so I took it into the shop. I was told whoever installed the aftermarket stereo used the switch from the fog lights to power the stereo. They said they had to order a new wiring harness. I guess the commemorative special doesn’t come with a stereo.

Then I was told the wiring harness they received was the wrong one. Does anyone know if there is a different wiring harness for an FLHT Standard and an FLHTP Police Commemorative Electra Glide?

Also, the siren and pursuit hand controls come on that model. Will I be able to replace those with chrome or am I out of luck.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r u under a warranty if not bring it to someone else

Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

Bike is out of warranty.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:39 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not an issue of whether its commemorative or not. It's a police model. They are built for police use and thus their wiring harnesses are different. They also don't come with and are not wired for a stereo.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

On the commemorative model, can you tell me what controlled the fog lamps? Would they have been wired to the existing pursuit switch on the right hand controls. When I turn that switch on, the "P" lights up on the tach.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, the pursuit switch is for the "pursuit" lights on the police model (a/k/a "Passing lamps" on a civilian bike; not "fog lights.") Typically, the wig-wag switch for the pursuit lamps is removed and the red/blue pursuit lamps replaced with civilian lamps.

The best "accessory" money you will spend will be to purchase the HD Touring Model service manual and police supplement for your bike's model year; especially if you're going to do anything electrical on the bike.

Carl

Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Default Pursuit Lights

Thank's Carl,

The shop got back to me just this morning saying they fixed the problem. It had to do with the pursuit switch. When they got it to finally work and activate the "pursuit lights," they started flashing, which made them laugh. The mechanic rewired the lights with a new module and now they are fully operational passing lamps which work off the pursuit lights switch.

It took the mechanic 12 hours of labor to figure it out, but he did it...Great work by Mechanic Wayne at Back Alley Motorcycles in Temecula California...

Did HD originally wire those bikes to have operational passing lamps that work off the pursuit switch?

Oh! thanks for the nomenclature lesson, I would have sounded like a dork calling them fog lamps.

Your the man Carl,

Thanks'

Mark

Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Mark,

Glad the tech figured it out. It's tough for indy shops to have the HD police manuals; if he'd had them he'd have seen in the wiring diagrams the switch which makes the passing/pursuit lamps wig-wag and it would have saved him a ton of time removing/by-passing it.

Enjoy your FLHTP.

Carl

Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OPDSam30

It took the mechanic 12 hours of labor to figure it out, but he did it...
Hope the mechanic gave you a break on the labor, 12 hours would add up to an awful amount of money.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think a good indy shops would have the HD police manuals. There's a lot of police bikes out there owned by civilians.

Quick Reply: Front Fog Lights