Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CFR chrome end cap pitted

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default CFR chrome end cap pitted

Saturday, while cleaning my bike, I discovered that the chrome end cap of the left muffler is pitted and the chrome starts to flake. The right end cap is fine, no problem with it ... so far. Weird, uh? I don't live close to the ocean and I don't have pool chemicals in my garage.
I don't think Cary Faas Racing will replace an end cap for free as my mufflers are more than 2 years old but I'll contact them anyway.
Anyone else has experienced the same problem? The end caps are riveted to the mufflers so it's very easy to pull them off.
I'm thinking of having the end caps powdercoated in glossy black, something I wanted to do anyway, my bike being black and I like the contrast chrome/black like for the Rineharts.
Maybe CFR carries them? I know they now offer their mufflers in flat black (ceramic coated) but I haven't seen glossy black end caps.
Someone has?
Thx for your help.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

What a coinky dink, I just noticed my right end cap on my CFR's is starting to flake on the inside of the end cap. Left one is fine. If you have Faas' contact number could you pass it along to me? I couldn't find it anywhere. I would like to call as my pipes are just over 1 year old. If I can't get anything done with them I too thought about black powder coating. It's too bad I like the pipes but after spending almost $700 on a pair this is what they do, it will be my last set.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by drewski1325
What a coinky dink, I just noticed my right end cap on my CFR's is starting to flake on the inside of the end cap. Left one is fine. If you have Faas' contact number could you pass it along to me? I couldn't find it anywhere. I would like to call as my pipes are just over 1 year old. If I can't get anything done with them I too thought about black powder coating. It's too bad I like the pipes but after spending almost $700 on a pair this is what they do, it will be my last set.
Strange. Yours and mine combined would make a great set. <wink>

Have you seen an old set of Rinehart mufflers with the black tips? They turn purple so it's not better than pitted chrome, IMO.

I like my CFRs a lot and don't plan to replace them. The sound is awesome and nothing comes close IMO. I had Rineharts 3.5" before and as soon as I saw and heard the CFRs, I had to have a set.

CFR Inc.

(623) 374-3759
9802 N 91st Ave Ste 104
Peoria, AZ 85345

Where in OH are you located?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of CFR's on my bike as well. I thought there might be some pitting in my end cap. I took a Foose "power ball" foam polisher that connects to a drill and some Flitz metal polish and it cleaned up smooth. I now use this combination on the inside of my tips at every cleaning to bring them back to clean chrome. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

I just called CFR and told them about the pitting on one end. They asked me if the tip was scratched underneath and after I said no, they asked me to return the pitted tip and they'll replace it. I told them my pipes are over 2yo and they said, it doesn't matter.
I then asked them if they carry glossy black end caps and they said no, only flat black. Told them I won't return mine cause I'll have them powdercoated glossy black and that will fix the problem.
Not all vendors stand behind their product like they do after several years so my hat's off to CFR, even if their proposed solution didn't work for me.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good to hear.

When I was first looking into buying my CFR's people were telling me that they were hard to tune. I called CFR and Carry Fass himself picked up the phone and took the time to talk to me for about half an hour. That really impressed me. He did not know me from Adam and took all that time. He even recommended a (at the time) new tuner to the market for me to look at. Which I did buy to go with my CFR's and has worked great. Now if they can just put up a website!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellmut73
That's good to hear.

When I was first looking into buying my CFR's people were telling me that they were hard to tune. I called CFR and Carry Fass himself picked up the phone and took the time to talk to me for about half an hour. That really impressed me. He did not know me from Adam and took all that time. He even recommended a (at the time) new tuner to the market for me to look at. Which I did buy to go with my CFR's and has worked great. Now if they can just put up a website!
They had a website but for whatever reason, they took it down several months ago. I shoulda asked them why but I didn't.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Hamps
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

I am experiencing the same pitting on the inside of my right pipe. Only 600 miles on them. So I take it to change them out you just drill off the head of the rivet and the cap comes off?

Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hamps
I am experiencing the same pitting on the inside of my right pipe. Only 600 miles on them. So I take it to change them out you just drill off the head of the rivet and the cap comes off?
Wow! Looks like I'm not alone.....
Yep, drill off the rivet, pull on the end caps and they'll come off. I've done it once already when I wanted to check the packing inside the mufflers.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
drewski1325
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Strange. Yours and mine combined would make a great set. <wink>

Have you seen an old set of Rinehart mufflers with the black tips? They turn purple so it's not better than pitted chrome, IMO.

I like my CFRs a lot and don't plan to replace them. The sound is awesome and nothing comes close IMO. I had Rineharts 3.5" before and as soon as I saw and heard the CFRs, I had to have a set.

CFR Inc.

(623) 374-3759
9802 N 91st Ave Ste 104
Peoria, AZ 85345

Where in OH are you located?
Thanks man! I am in Greenville Ohio which is about 35 miles north of Dayton and 100 miles west of Columbus. We are about 10 miles from the Indiana border.

Quick Reply: CFR chrome end cap pitted